Part One: Weapons of Gold

They cheered when the dagger struck Ziba. The dense host of demons and imps scattered about fell into a frenzy, some shooting higher into the sky and others brandishing wicked weapons.

Algodon's grey eyes carefully swept over the gathering, observing and taking stock of what was important. There were others in the crowd, others who were not easily distracted by a showdown between a warring spiritual messenger and a demon. They moved amidst the captured nobles, burning black gaze crawling over boys as they made their selection.

The boy Daniel noticed earlier had already been selected even before he stepped foot in the kingdom. He had the aura of Marduk, that shunned god of Babylon. The boy would be trouble.

Algadon remained at Daniel's side, his impenetrable shield concealing not just his aura and that of the Judean captives, but a good number of other noble boys as well. It would do no good if over half the captured boys were under the influence of darkness. Neutrality was not only necessary, it was important.

What Ziba was presently facing was an Eazam demon. Fallen angels who took the position of gods and goddesses on earth empowered demons to carry out their tasks. Whatever worship their human subject offered them was translated to power. The more worshipped a god or goddess was, the more powerful they grew. Judging from the waves of dark power oozing from the Eazam, it was clear Amon-Ra had pumped in a large quantity.

Pity Algodon's present assignment didn't involve battling. Tearing through his disguise and carving a path through the smug demon would have been such a rush. But no. The least he could do was draw Ziba's attention to the thing she was about to face. Nebuchadnezzar's death or failure would do no good to the destiny of those Algodon was assigned to. The king, proud and bloodthirsty as he was, was better off alive.

"Would you give me no explanation?" Daniel asked, voice hushed and accusatory. He raised an eyebrow, waiting for an explanation Algodon would never give—at least not in plain terms. Algodon's duty was simply to protect and guide, not explain away the mystery that surrounded his presence.

Shrugging a shoulder, Algodon kept his eyes fixed on the fight about to begin a small distance away. "What explanation?"

Golden talons gleamed as Ziba pulled the bone dagger out of her shoulder. The weapon turned to dust in her palm as she replied the bone demon. Her words reached Algodon's perception. What is your message and who sent you?

Amon-Ra, the high god of Egypt, sends me. The Eazam stood taller. It has come to his knowledge that the mortal king you protect plans to invade his principality. If this king insists on his foolish venture, Amon-Ra promises a...

Algodon tuned the demon out and turned to face Daniel. "Once you and the others are inspected and approved by the king, you will be taken to a school of sort and within its walls, there will be..." he paused, careful to use the right words, "there will be some who are influenced by deep seething darkness. The reason behind my presence in your life will be much clearer then."

A look of incredulity clouded Daniel's face. "What... I do not understand."

Algodon chuckled and patted the boy once on a shoulder. "Soon you shall see clearly."

A shriek, loud and piercing, split the air. Algodon turned just in time to see the Eazam begin her approach as a second bone sword burst from her palm.

***

Upon the demon's approach, Ziba reinforced Nebuchadnezzar's shield before vanishing and appearing at the foot of the dais. The jewellery circling her arms melted down her hands like hot wax and formed twin curved shotel swords. She gripped the weapons, schooling her expression as she waited. Fury at the attack boiled within her, rising and begging that she release the chaos. But she kicked it in the face. Stay down.