Chapter 16

Scotty left the water bottles in the helicopter.

          Sleeping had become impossible after my guard-shift, and my mouth dried up to the point of pain. Most of our bags congregated close to the barred-up door, my shoes and jacket stored within one; the weather was too wild to venture out without some form of cover. After carefully retrieving the keys to Tracey from underneath Scotty's pillow, I tip-toed out the room, expecting a bored Davis trying to make conversation with Sienna while I strode through the dark, dusty foyer.

          Sienna wasn't there.

          Neither was Davis.

          Our camping lights turned out.

          Mindful and cautious, I stepped closer to the spot I left them in, hoping my tired eyes were simply strained in the dark, but both chairs were empty.

          There was no logical reason as to why both could be missing. Not one that I liked, anyway.

          Ice ran through my veins, and my grip on the helicopter keys tightened with the low rumble of thunder. I could not shout for the others back in the room – the risk of alerting any potential hostiles was too high – so I backed away silently—

          A gloved hand shot to my mouth and neck.

          I squirmed from the squeeze and flung his arms in the air, twirling round to bend the right back as far as I could before he swiped a leg at my knees.

          My legs buckled. He stepped towards me with a glint of silver in hand: a knife.

          He swung. I caught his arm and sliced at the air with my left, catching his eye with the key. He cried in pain, sacrificing the knife's grip, and let it fall into my right hand. I took advantage of his writhing pain to stand, bringing him to the ground with a swift knee to the crotch.

          Heart pounding, I pointed the knife, stance ready for another fight if needed. "Where's Sienna?"

          He groaned, whimpering as if he would cry. "Answer me."

          He didn't, but someone else did.

          The glass that centred the back wall at the top of the stairs exploded into fragments, figures swinging in on wires and armed to the teeth with guns. My mouth opened at the number of them – ten, all armed – and let it fall even further when the door to my right opened, letting in two guards, Veronica and a free Sienna.

          Veronica raised a brow, pointing a handgun at my head. "This was easier than I thought." The gun twitched. "On the floor. Now."

          I did as I was told with a warning scowl. The hostile beside me rose to his feet, grunting as he snatched his knife away.

          I stared past Veronica, eyeing up Sienna. "Where's Davis?"
"We'll find him," she replied blankly.
I frowned. "You don't know?"
"Sienna was unguarded when I found her," Veronica explained. "For top agents, some of you really are useless."

          Apparently.

          My gaze betrayed me for a second to glance at the door where the others were sleeping; no doubt they were awake by now. I spotted the door drift open an inch before pulling back closed. Definitely awake, I realised, and my only way out of this. Thank god they had the sense to not run out.

          Veronica nodded at her entourage. "Find them. And someone restrain Knight."
"Don't trust me to sit still?"
She laughed. "I'm not a fool."
"So you think."
She rotated around with a glare. "Find them!"