"You have three seconds or I'm busting it down," Bakugo threatens, waiting a beat. "3....2....1"

True to his word, he kicks in the door and Kirishima watches the blood drain from his face.

"Deku-"

The blonde whispers his name like a prayer, dropping to his knees in front of the freckled teen where he lays, sprawled like a broken doll, half-sitting against his bed-frame. Glazed eyes stare through the floor as he fights to take shallow, rasping breaths. Bakugo reaches out to shake him with another soft call of his name, but mutters a curse and fumbles for his thermometer.

"Shitty Hair," he barks. "I need you to take my phone and call Recovery Girl. Tell her Deku has a fever: 40.1 and his breathing is really laboured."

Kirishima does as he's told, pausing to let Bakugo unlock the device.

"Hey, Deku?" Bakugo pinches Izuku's bicep and the boy whimpers, squirming away from the sudden sharp pain. "Deku, it's ok. It's me. Are you ok?"

Deku looks at him with eyes so full of terror that Bakugo is momentarily lost for words until a soft voice reaches him:

"K-Kacchan?" he stutters, voice cracking and lead lolling to the side as he starts to slip. Familiar blonde hair and red eyes swim just out of focus, pushing back his dread just a little.

"Yeah, yeah. It's me," the blonde assures, supporting him. "What happened?"

"Hurts. Scared." His voice is tight and so pitifully quiet.

"What hurts?" Bakugo snaps, his panic triggering reflexive anger. Izuku flinches, breath hitching as scarred fingers come up to pull at his curls, a thin keening sound bleeding into the air. Green lightning starts to arc across his trembling arms and Bakugo lunges to pull him close.

"It's ok Deku. What are you scared of?"

"They'll get me, I don't-"

"Who'll-?"

"I don't want to die. I'm gonna- I'm gonna die."

Bakugo seizes, breath stuttering and fear clawing his chest as his thoughts spiral. A tap on his shoulder almost has him spinning to attack until he sees Kirishima standing there, hands up, posture open but expression knitted in worry. Bakugo isn't sure if he heard anything Deku had said but he hopes not.

"She said bring him in. She's worried it might be pneumonia."

Together, they wrap Izuku in his duvet, the act of doing something helping to push back Bakugo's roiling thoughts. The blonde bundles Izuku into his arms, cradling his head against his chest. Kirishima drops his phone back into his pocket and with a look he hopes speaks to his gratitude Bakugo sprints from the room, ignoring the surprised voices in the common room as he flies past and hurls himself through the front door.
"What's going on?" Uraraka asks Kirishima meekly when he enters the common room.

"Midoriya's sick," is all he can say as a pall falls over the room. The redhead stares at the door for a long moment, trying to banish the fear he had seen behind the gratitude in Bakugo's eyes. He suppresses a shudder, keeping himself together for the sake of the others and plasters a smile onto his face, swaggering over to where Kaminari and Mina are.

LINE SKIPPPPP NAME IT!

Recovery Girl is waiting beside the open door of the infirmary as Bakugo lopes up the corridor, legs leaden and burning with the effort of keeping his speed up. She ushers him in and he makes the briefest of eye contact with Todoroki before the triage room door closes behind him.

The atmosphere is tense as Recovery Girl checks Izuku's vitals, Bakugo watching the numbers on the monitor from his position by the far wall. She clucks her tongue and soothes Izuku, talking gently to him as she fits an oxygen mask to help his low sats. He whines and tries to writhe away lifting a hand to paw at the mask, but Bakugo is quick to take him by the wrist and tell him he's safe, rubbing gentle circles in the skin as he watches Recovery Girl work. She places lines for fluid support and fever suppression and when his blood pressure drops lower she responds by pushing norepinepherine. Izuku twitches and shivers on the table, responding only with incoherent words or pained sounds when she asks questions. So she turns to Bakugo for answers: