in which it all ends here

Start from the beginning

"You can't control what I fucking do —"

"Okay, but I've lived two lifetimes and so has Yoko," Paul quickly amended. "And you haven't. And you have a kid. And yes, you died, George."

"Whoa," Yoko said.

"You died and it was awful," Paul said, expecting his voice to break anytime now, and yet it remained incredibly steady. "So go get John and Ringo."

"John and Ringo are here?"

"You can track them with this." Paul shoved Barney's phone into George's hand. "John's still got one on him. So go and live. Please, you need to make sure John lives. Someone does."

George frowned. "Just come with me."

Paul clapped George on the shoulder. "This all started when they brought me here. And now I need to end it."

"Even this won't end it, though," George said insistently.

"I don't have time for this. I need to go. You need to find John and —"

"If you die John will kill me!"

"George!" Paul groaned. "He and Ringo are locked in a supply closet right now. You need to get them out, okay? You need to see to it they get out safely. Otherwise what have the last twenty years of my life been for?"

"What have the last twenty years of your life been for if you just die at the end of it all?" George looked angry. He was seething.

Paul just chuckled at him, though. "Everything if you all get out of." He punched his arm. "Go on. Save John and Ringo. Please."

George breathed heavily, looking back and forth between Paul and Yoko for a long time. Finally, he huffed and turned to storm away, but paused. "If I don't see you..."

"I know, Georgie."

"Yeah. Me, too, Macca."

"What am —"

George rolled his eyes. "Enough. Love you, too."

Yoko smiled. "Yeah. You too, George."

George hurried off in one direction while Paul and Yoko went in the other. They had to run to catch up to Darren and Marbella, and the stumbled to a halt when they found the two of them crouched against a wall, both with a gun at the ready. Paul and Yoko backed away, hesitating to draw their own guns.

"Where's everyone else?" Paul hissed.

"Sshhhh!!!" Darren and Marbella both gestured for Paul and Yoko to crouch against the wall with them, so they did. They were silent for a little while and Paul was starting to consider asking what they were waiting for when two F.H.O. agents rounded the corner. Darren and Marbella shot quickly then jumped up.

"Where the fuck did you go, McCartney?" Marbella huffed.

"Where's George?" Darren demanded.

"Long story," Paul lied. "Where's everyone else?"

"Doing their job," Marbella snapped. "And you. I told you to stand down."

Yoko shrugged. "I didn't listen."

Darren sighed. "We don't have time for this. We're going in. If you come you do, and if you don't, whatever." He nodded in the direction that the two F.H.O. agents had come from and then he and Marbella bolted away.

Paul and Yoko chased after them.

"He's close," Darren hissed.

"But why's he still here?" Yoko asked.