18

The next morning, sunlight streamed in through the windows, waking me out of my light sleep. I blinked a few times as I felt the warmth on my face, stretching my arms out slightly as I glanced over to the side.

Caleb lay peacefully, his head facing away from me. I reached my hand out and grabbed my phone, glancing at the time to see that it was almost noon.

Throwing my blanket off of me and grabbing it, along with my pillow, I decided to let him rest and get ready. I dropped my things off back in my room, and made a beeline to the bathroom to shower and brush. After finishing, I changed into another dress I'd found in my closet, this one more causal. The weather was getting nicer everyday, and I missed actually putting effort into my appearance, instead of staying in bed all day. It got me moving and energized.

When I was done, I grabbed my phone and dialed Ethan's number, taking a seat on the edge of my bed. Minutes passed, and he didn't pick up. I tried two more times only to gain nothing in return.

Realizing I wasn't going to get anywhere, an idea came to mind and I raced out of my room, reaching Elijah's. I knocked several times, tapping a foot impatiently while I waited. I was about to barge right in when the door whipped open and he found me standing there.

I got straight to the point. "Do you know where Ethan is?"

Elijah studied me for a few seconds, before he stepped out of his room and shut the door behind him. I noticed the keys in his hand and how looked like he was about to head out. He didn't answer me as he started for the stairs.

I huffed and started after him, following so closely I almost stepped on the back of his shoe, but I didn't let that stop me.

"You can't just ignore me like that?" I scowled, trailing after his retreating figure as he made his way over to the garage door. "Elijah!"

He halted and turned around right before he reached his car, raising his eyebrows in question. "What?"

"Where's Ethan? He's not picking up."

"He's safe. He'll pick up when he wants to," Elijah replied calmly and I gaped at him.

"So you know where he is?" I demanded angrily. Of course he knew; Elijah found everyone. "Tell me."

Elijah shook his head faintly. "He wants to be left alone, Izzy. Let him come back when he wants to," he said and I shifted on my feet, crossing my arms over my chest.

"How can you just say that? Did you see how hurt he looked last night?" I questioned incredulously. "What if he's in danger or he's put himself in a bad situation because he isn't thinking straight?"

Elijah sighed, briefly closing his eyes. "He's not hurt, he'll be fine. He just needs his space, let him have it."

"How would you know what he wants or needs? You never helped him when he needed it."

Elijah glared right back, his eyes dark with warning. "You know this little attitude you've been showing me these days is seriously getting on my fucking nerves."

"That's besides the point," I snapped, ignoring the fact that I was walking on very, very thin ice with the way I was speaking to him. I didn't care though. Ethan had never given up on me, so I would do the same. "Just tell me where is, please. I can go get him myself."

"He wouldn't want you to see him when he's like this," Elijah warned and I had no idea what he meant by that. How bad could things be for Ethan right now that he'd say that? Where could he be? "He'll push us away even more if I tell you where he went, so no, I'm not saying anything. I'm sorry."