10

Kaiden said that I needed as many distractions as possible, so he decided that I could drive.

It was the first time I was driving in an urban area, and a crowded one at that, too. To say I was terrified would be an understatement even though I was technically allowed to get my license. I'd never planned on driving this far when I got it anyways.

"Slow down," Kaiden snapped, and I huffed at the words I'd heard more times than I could count. I glanced over at him momentarily to see him gripping the handle, and I didn't fail to notice how his knuckles were turning white from how tight he was holding it. "Izzy, eyes on the fucking road."

I bit back a small grin, shifting my attention back to the road ahead of me. "Are you scared?" I asked.

"No."

"I don't believe you," I countered, coming to a slow stop at a red light. "You are scared."

Kaiden glanced over at me, his eyes flashing with irritation. "You're a shitty driver," he rolled his eyes and I shrugged.

"I'm getting my license soon," I said. "Someone just needs to come with me." Elijah was not an option. I wouldn't even ask him.

"Elijah's the only one who can go," Kaiden told me.

My head snapped back over to him. "What? That's a rule?"

He nodded and his hand returned to grip the handle when I started driving again, pressing down on the accelerator as the speed picked up. "They ask for a parent or guardian. They won't allow anyone else."

I tried not to let the disappointment show on my face. "Oh."

I felt Kaiden studying me from the corner of my eye as if he sensed the change in my mood. "I'll see if I can go with, maybe they'll make an exception," he suddenly said and I looked over at him. He hesitated before he spoke again. "Did he ever apologize?"

I knew what he was talking about without the clarification. My free hand absentmindedly skimmed the skin of my jawline, before I let it drop back to the wheel. "No," I replied honestly. "Elijah barely talks to me anymore."

Kaiden let out a deep breath. "He doesn't talk to me or Ethan either," he murmured, a frown forming between his eyebrows. "Caleb's the only one he'll act normal around when he visits him. It's the only time I see him calm these days."

I blinked, my hands tightening around the steering wheel. "So Elijah does visit Caleb?" I asked quietly. I figured he didn't because I'd never seen it happen myself. But then again, I barely left my room. Today was the first time I'd left the house for something like this, and it was taking everything in me to force my mind to only focus on the task ahead of me. Nothing else was allowed inside except for the distractions.

"A few times a week."

"Why's Elijah like this?" I blurted out, not being able to help it. "I don't get it."

Kaiden took a deep breath and shifted his focus out the window as I made a sharp right turn into his old apartment complex. Memories returned to my mind and I instantly shoved them away. "He's tired," Kaiden said quietly as I pulled into one of the parking spots. "He's sick of having to do everything for everyone. I think he has been for a while, but everything's finally catching up to him now."

Exhaustion. It was as simple as that, I realized, as we stepped out of the car and started making our way towards the building. There was only so much a person could take, even if I used to think that people like my oldest brother were invincible. He always seemed like he was to me, but I had been wrong. Everyone had their limits. Just like I'd reached mine, Elijah was starting to near his.