13

The car ride to the hospital was the one of the most uncomfortable experiences I'd lived through in all my seventeen years of life.

Elijah and I didn't speak to each other. I'd turned my legs towards the window, so I was almost entirely facing away and he didn't bother talking to me. He spent most of the time talking to people on the phone, and it always sounded urgent, so I didn't bother saying anything about it or interrupting.

We were going to the same one Caleb was at, so there was at least one benefit to this painful situation. I'd get to see him again.

I had on two jackets because I'd been shivering so hard, my teeth had started chattering. It wasn't that cold outside, but for some reason, I felt like I was a walking icicle everywhere I went. It was driving me insane, and it was turning almost painful at this point. I was always cold.

"Is this how it's gonna be from now?" Elijah broke the silence, and I risked a glance over. "Awkward silence every time we're together, huh?"

I stared at him incredulously. "You can't be serious," I muttered. "You're responsible for this."

Elijah raised his eyebrows, using one hand to steer the car while the other rested on the gear stick. My eyes mindlessly traveled down to the black ink peeking out from his wrist, and I quickly looked away, not wanting to see the names again.

"I thought we cleared this up," he began calmly. "I didn't mean what I said in New York. Any of it."

"You still said it," I said and crossed my arms over my chest. "So stop talking to me."

Elijah chuckled, shaking his head. "You don't need to answer."

It took everything in me not to reply to the stupid bastard. I snapped my teeth together, willing myself to stay quiet.

"You don't need me to hold your hand when the needle goes through your skin?" Elijah mocked teasingly, and I heard the smile in his voice. I gritted my teeth together.

When I was a kid, after my parents had passed away, he'd take me to my doctor's appointments and I'd always need someone to hold my hand when I got my shots. It made me feel childish, but it seemed to ease the sharp sting every time.

"I don't need you to do anything for me."

Elijah glanced at me, his eyes dancing with amusement. "So what I'm hearing is you don't need me to come with you to get your license?"

I stayed quiet and he shifted his attention back to the road. "Just say the word and I'll go with."

"I don't need you to come with."

Elijah's lips twitched as he held back a smile. "Okay."

My jaw locked up and I redirected my attention back out the window, every instinct inside me screaming at me to lash out; to say something back to make his arrogance die down. But Elijah was talented in not revealing his true emotions, so even if I said something to strike him, it would be rare of him to show that I'd made a difference.

We reached the hospital soon after, and I didn't bother waiting for Elijah as I marched up to the building. I heard him lock his car behind me, before following.

"Wrong way," he called out after me and I halted in my path, glancing over my shoulder to see him start walking the opposite direction. "It's this door."

I rolled my eyes and rushed after him, huddling my arms across my chest as I trailed after him. Elijah held the door open for me, but I paused behind him, refusing to go through. When he saw that I wasn't going to move, he rolled his eyes and went ahead without me.