The Third Agreement

Don't make assumptions

I think this is something very very important but also hard to do since we tend to overthink everything people say or do. Even what they don't say or do. Everything seems to have a meaning to us and we're always busy trying to find out what it meant or what they're trying to tell us when actually it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what you think may have  been the motivation for something. Ask or don't ask and don't try to pretend to know things you don't know. Not knowing is alright and it is more peaceful than trying to figure everything out without ever making sure.

Quotes:

„It is always better to ask questions than to make an assumption because assumptions set us up for suffering."

„Often we make the assumption that our partners know what we think and that we don't have to say what we want. We assume they are going to do what we want because they know us so well. If they don't do what we assume they should do we feel so hurt and say you should have known."

„We have the need to justify everything to explain and understand everything in order to feel safe. We have millions of questions that need answers because there are so many things that the reasoning mind cannot explain. It is not important if the answer is correct. Just the answer itself makes us feel safe. This is why we make assumptions"

„So even before others have a chance to reject us we have already rejected ourselves."

„Find your Voice to ask for what you want. Everybody has the right to tell you no or yes but you always have the right no ask. Likewise everybody has the right to ask you and you have the right to say yes or no."