The Second Agreement

Don't take anything personally

In this chapter, the author is trying to draw a picture of how other people's behaviour usually doesn't have anything to do with us even though it might be addressed to us. Everyone is dealing with their own perception of the world so most of the time what we say and do is created by thousands of circumstances. It doesn't have anything to do with one single person so we shouldn't take things personally. Even if someone is addressing something directly to you, it's not about you as a person but their perception of you in that particular moment. This doesn't mean that you should ignore everything others say about you since being criticised is important but you shouldn't take it personally but as an inspiration.

Quotes:

„Nothing other people do is because if you. It is because of themselves. All people live in their own dream in their own mind. They are in a completely different world from the one we live in. When we take something personally we make the assumption that they know what is in our world and we try to impose our world on their world."

„No I don't take it personally. Whatever you think whatever you feel I know is your problem and not my problem."

„Do not expect people to tell you the truth because they also lie to themselves"