71. War

A/N: God, I feel terrible writing this chapter towards the end 😭😭

》》》》》》

Y/N stares quietly, her mind racing so much that she was getting a headache.

Her father... wanted her to be Secretary of War?

Her father rejected Knox in order to push for her?

Oh, God. She just started an argument with Alexander over the similar job of Treasury Secretary.

"Y/N?" George asks, studying his daughter's face.

She looks up slowly, unsure about what emotion was stronger inside her - pride, anger or regret.

George raises an eyebrow, "Y/N, what in God's name is going on between you and Colonel Hamilton?"

Y/N pushes her bowl away, making sure the children were all still outside.

"An argument. It started over him being given the position of Secretary of the Treasury. It escalated with everything else that has happened in our nine years of marriage."

George listens quietly as she explains.

After she finishes, Y/N places her face in her hands, "What have I done?"

"It is not your fault. Nor is it his, as much as it may seem," he stands, going to his beloved daughter's side.

"Some things he said were... wrong. And I'm sure some things you said were as well. It was the anger of the argument. It clouds our judgment," George places a hand on her back. "But rest assured that Colonel Hamilton is remorseful about the fight."

"How do you know?"

He doesn't answer but she just groans, "He told you already, didn't he?"

George gives a sorry smile and she shakes her head, "Unbelievable."

"He's moping."

"Good."

"Arguments are a natural part of a marriage. I'd be surprised if this was your first major argument," he counsels. "However, the important thing is what follows the argument."

"I'm not planning on forgiving him. Not now at least," she mutters the last part.

He leans back in his seat, "I'm not saying to forgive him. I'm saying that the both of you need a chance to talk. Like decent human beings. Like adults."

She opens her mouth to respond before she hears a loud cry.

Both Washingtons stand immediately, alnost knocking their chairs over as they run outside.

Wash was fuming and holding Fanny close.

The older boy sees his aunt and grandfather and points to the corner of their house to his cousins.

Jacky and Frankie were hugging each other, both sobbing wildly.

Y/N and George share a glance before splitting. Y/N goes to her son and nephew, and George goes to his grandson and granddaughter.

"Jacky..." Y/N whispers, pulling both boys into an embrace, "... what happened?"

Oh, how she wished her darling children never cried again.

"They called us quadroons!" Franklin cries.

Jacky wipes at his eyes.

Oh.

She knew this would happen. It was an eventuality.

Her husband had dubious origins. Her husband had recently come under fire (again) after Livingston was rejected the position of Secretary of the Treasury in favor of Hamilton.