❖ 07 | smart

Taehyung was seated in his chair, fingers pressed to his temples in an attempt to alleviate the pulsating headache

Taehyung was seated in his chair, fingers pressed to his temples in an attempt to alleviate the pulsating headache. He was never too good at thinking straight when it came to accounting.

"I wish I was smarter," he groaned, thumping his head onto the desk underneath him. The desk was unusually cluttered, a result of him not cleaning up since Jungkook's birthday.

"Can I get some help here?!" he yelled softly, to nobody in particular. 

Almost as if on cue, someone knocked on the door. Taehyung moaned in frustration and got up to answer it.

"Hey," Jungkook greeted him in his customary black outfit and uncombed raven hair. "Are you busy?"

"I'm always busy," Taehyung muttered.

"So you're free. Great," Jungkook said, sliding past Taehyung and plopping himself down on Taehyung's unkempt bed, placing one of the pillows on his lap. He was oddly comfortable, but when he saw the momentary glare the older gave him, he silently put the pillow back where it was, and set his hands awkwardly on his lap.

"Why are you here then?" Taehyung said, going back to his desk.

"I don't know? Just wanted to say 'hi' I guess?" Jungkook had to admit, he felt a little hurt that Taehyung treated him so indifferently. Didn't he feel some kind of pull because of the mate bond?

Jungkook sighed, "Maybe I can help with whatever you're doing?" He asked wishfully.

"It's boring accounts and shit. You won't get a single syllable of it," Taehyung stated curtly.

Jungkook opened his mouth in an attempt to say something, but shut it quickly after. He rested his arms behind him, shifting his weight onto his shoulder blades. He let the breeze toy with his hair as it gushed in through the window. Somehow he got the nerve to say what he wanted again, and so he did.

"I can help you, actually. I'm quite good at 'accounts and shit' as you call it."

"You are?"

Jungkook nodded cautiously.

Taehyung shrugged. "I don't need your help though."

"Oh come on, nobody is going to accept that. You look a mess right now, I'm not blind you know?"

Hours passed and Taehyung was surprised that he managed to complete all his pending work with Jungkook's help. He didn't want to admit it but he was much more efficient around Jungkook, he even had a slight feeling that Jungkook was releasing calming pheromones the whole time.

Taehyung felt a strange pang of warmth in his chest, is this what it really felt like to have a mate? Was he wrong all along? Maybe the Mahogany pack, where Jungkook came from, was different then how Celeste used to be... He looked over at Jungkook who was humming quietly, the breeze from the adjacent window tousling his ebony hair. Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows as he let his heart explore the new feelings swirling inside him. He angled his head to one side, watching the gentle smile that tugged at Jungkook's lips. He had denied this feeling in the beginning, but soon realised it was there subtly all along. Why... Did he look at Jungkook differently? Was it just because he had helped him with his work?

Jungkook looked peaceful, his humming continuing like a cradlesong. Taehyung felt strange, as long as Jungkook was there, he felt safe. Like there was finally somebody who acknowledged him, someone who loved him.

"Can you sing for me?" Taehyung said it out loud before realising what he said and mentally cursed himself.

"It would be my pleasure."

---

---

Short but cute.

We are about to reach a turning point and some real angst so buckle up 👀

See you in the next update!