A mission for all

Start from the beginning

“No,” forcing my eyes to meet hers I added, “A doctor can’t heal my inner demons, Sakura. No one can.”

“It would help if you talked about it,” she said hopefully.

Eyes flashing to Sasuke, I shook my head, “You would never look at me the same.”

The door whooshed open cutting off her next sentence and we looked over to see a blonde woman walk in and head straight for Sasuke. Sakura scurried over to his side and watched as she healed him. I watched too and noticed the woman peer over at me as she worked on Sasuke.

With another sigh I fled the room only to bump into Naruto who looked rather sombre. He steadied me and grasped my hand. Without a single word he towed me from the hospital and up onto the statues of the past Hokages where he turned to study me.

“How do you know Itachi?” he questioned in a quiet no nonsense tone that caused me to still.

“It’s nothing-”

“Don’t!” he snapped flaring out an arm and pointed at me. “I’m your brother right? So talk to me. Who is he to you? How do you know him? And tell me what happened on that bridge back in the Land of Waves. You remember don’t you, your eyes, they...” at a loss for words his voice faded and just looked at me.

“I remember,” I muttered looking away.

“Talk to me, Rima.”

“Naruto,” I begged. “Don’t make me tell you. You don’t want to know.”

“You don’t know what I want!” he shouted and I flinched. “Something is hurting you bad. How can I protect you if I don’t know what I’m fighting?!”

“You don’t,” I whispered. “I am to protect you.”

“If that’s so,” he said bitterly. “Then who protects you?”

“No one.”

“Wrong answer!” striding forward he snatched at my arm, forcing me to look at him. “I am,” he whispered and I saw the tears glitter in his eyes. “Why don’t you trust me?”

“I do,” I replied hating the hurt I was causing. “It’s just...”

“Tell me, please?”

With a deep sigh, I bowed my head and opened my mouth. What poured out was the truth, everything from before my mother died to just recently. No lies, no half truth, nothing but honesty. For his part, Naruto remained silent, holding his questions till the end but when I did finish - over two hours later - he said nothing, just eased his arms around me and hugged me close.

                                                               ***********