Chapter 4 - Get in, bitch. We're going shopping.

Start from the beginning

I waltzed over to my car, got in, and drove into town. I stopped and parked in one of the store parking lots, hoping to find what I was looking for.
I entered the large store and looked around, smiling contently at the multiple displays of furniture. From bed frames to chairs, couches, tables and chairs, they had plenty of options I could choose from.
I grabbed a cart and waved to the lady behind the counter, though I wasn't quite sure we'd met before, and continued to look through the store.
Though there were very few people here due to the time, there were a few that I recognized from around town. I found quite a few long, plain tables that I liked and eventually decided on which ones I wanted to buy, along with multiple lights that would go nicely with the rest of the house.

Closer to the right end of the store, there were tools, wood, paint and stains for home projects. I selected a dark wood stain for the stairs and some dark red stain, as well as some lacquer for the railing.
As I approached the counter to pay, I felt a nagging feeling that I was not only being watched but that I was also forgetting something.
I shrugged it off and blamed it on anxiety, deciding not to dwell on it. I paid for what I had in my cart and gave the woman my address so that she could deliver the tables later on today since I had bought 5 or so.
In total, the cost of everything amounted to just under 5000 dollars, making me extremely glad for the 2 summer jobs I had gotten to help me through the first year of living alone and to help pay expenses such as food and bills. 

If you're wondering why I am not currently in college or university, it's because I already went. I didn't take a gap year and instead threw myself into university, despite the cost. After only a year, I graduated from my originally 3-year university course in abnormal sciences thanks to grunkle Ford's tutoring and a few really good teachers. I stayed at home throughout that year so that I wouldn't have to worry about bills, but, as I have already stated, took up two jobs so that I could save up for when I moved out.

Since I was only 18 when I graduated from university, I spent the last two years or so working. Anyways, once I paid for my things, I went out to my car and placed the items in the trunk, deciding to buy some groceries while I was out. I headed to the nearest grocery store, parked, and entered the store. I, once again, grabbed a cart and began walking around, placing a jug of milk*, a pound of bacon, a few boxes of cereals like frosted flakes and honey combes, granola bars, a case of soda, a block of cheese, etc; into my cart.

"Dipper? Is that you?" a voice asked behind me. 

I turned to see Pacifica standing there with me in the île, wearing some skinny jeans, a purple t-shirt and her infamous hoop earrings.
"Pacifica Northwest... didn't think I'd find you here in a commoners grocery store." I joked, earning a roll of the eyes from the blond girl in front of me. Now we were adults and spent some time with each other over the years of summer visits, we had grown to be able to not be at each other's throats all the time.

"When did you get here? How is Mabel?" She asked, striking up a friendly conversation as we continued our shopping.
"I actually only got here a few days ago. I'm moving into the shack, so I wanted to come here early to get unpacked and stuff before Mable came down for a visit. On the subject of Mable, she's doing alright. She wanted to be here to help me unpack, but she still has some college stuff to take care of before she could leave California and come here to Oregon." I said, earning a surprised look and nod from Pacifica.

"You should have told me you were moving into the shack! I would have gotten some people to unpack everything for you." She said, making me chuckle.
"Don't worry about it, princess. I'm just fine unpacking my own boxes." I said playfully, gently shoving Pacifica as we walked. She huffed at the nickname and shove, but didn't retort.
"Well, if you ever need anything, you have my number, Dipper." She said, and I nodded.
"Thanks! Why don't you swing by the shack later? We can hang out while I build the tables I just bought." I suggested.
She nodded, smiling.
"Sure! I'll see you around, Pines!"
"See ya' around, Northwest," I said as we parted ways.