📃 CHAPTER SEVEN | WHAT ARE WE?

"Papa I'm sorry I had to tell you this through an email, but my mind is made up." I told my father during a video call.

It had been a month since my vacation at Seoul ended, but I was still in Gangnam. Mr Park and Kim Tae Min succeeded in retrieving a visa for me from the Korean embassy.

That's right.

I decided to stay in Seoul and to honour my choice I sent an email to my parents which explained my plan to quit medical school. Like Jess said, my parents did freak out.

After weeks of avoiding their calls and texts, I was persuaded by Tae Min to face them and finally I did.

On the screen of my laptop, there they were with faces as clear as day. My mother and father. Dr Krishna and Dr Priyanka Kapoor. They were both successful neurosurgeons at the peak of their careers. The aura about them was always so intimidating I often became a coward in their presence, but no more.

"Priya Kapoor, have you gone mad?!" My father screamed until veins were seen stretched at the sides of his neck.

"No Papa." I answered. My eyes roamed my room at Shilla Stay Yeoksam.

"Priya did something happen at school? Why did you travel to Korea?" My mother always concerned, asked with comforting eyes.

"You didn't show up on the day the Singhs arrived. They were so disappointed. We had to throw parties for three weekends just to put a smile on their faces. Then we had to lie to them that you had gone on a trip that was part of your school curriculum. When we asked Melissa to reach out to you, she said she couldn't find you for three months! Then three weeks ago your mother and I received emails from you about your decision to quit medical school and spend some time in Korea!! Have you seriously lost your mind?!!"

My father began to lose his temper. I shut my eyes and made a fist with both hands.

"Photography?! Photography?!! Do you really think that's something a Kapoor should be proud of?! Your aunts, uncles and cousins are either doctors, lawyers, engineers or business tycoons. They're all professionals! Why do you and your sister have to be different? She's supposed to be in law school but no! She's decided to study something about creating animations and apps because of the money she's been earning lately...Even I don't get it! No one cares about skills Priya! This is the twenty first century! When will you and Natasha come to your senses?!" My father said, his eyes reddened by rage.

Natasha. That was the name of my sixteen year old sister. My father blamed her behavior on the fact that her name was not Indian. It was a name chosen by my mother. Natasha was nothing like me. She was more like Jess. She did whatever pleased her heart and she took pride in being a rebel towards my parents' unreasonable beliefs. I was always proud of her.

"I can't do this anymore Priyanka! Your children have lost it and when I explode, don't blame me! You want to become a traveller who takes pictures while wandering the earth? Then go ahead! Wander! But you will be back to marry Rajesh and when you do return, it will be too late to continue your education. You'll become a complete housewife until your husband says otherwise! You're no daughter of mine!" My father said and stormed out.

My heart felt hurt by my father's utterance. Being the eldest child, I was almost moved to take back my words but I held my peace and tried to stop tears from falling out of my eyes. It was my only way to freedom but it hurt.

My mother looked around, gazed at me and sighed.

"You know your father didn't mean the things he said right?"

"I know mama."

"What's his name Priya?" My mother asked.

"Who...what..." I stuttered.