📃 CHAPTER SIX | WITH YOU

Kim Tae Min and I arrived at Songpa Naru Park, in Songpa-gu on the east side of Seoul. My eyes caught the sight of a clear lake just behind the Lotte World.

Calm and free of ripples or waves, the peaceful lake was surrounded by the outstanding pink of cherry blossoms. The undisturbed lake was Seokchon Lake. This earned Songpa Naru, the popular name, Seokchon Lake Park.

It was the fourteenth hour of the day.

“Have you ever heard of the Seokchon Lake cherry blossom festival?” Tae Min asked while he placed the hoodie of the jacket over his head.

“I think I have.”

“Well here we are!” He said.

I looked around and finally understood the meaning of the crowd that surrounded the lake. The cameras, foreigners, music and bright decorations were all part of the festival.

Tae Min and I had quite a splendid day.

We took a stroll around the lake, admired the beautiful scenery and made short stops at caricature booths.

One of my favourite spots was the Seoul Nori Madang. It was an outdoor stage at the Seokchon Lake Park. As a lover of diverse cultures and heritage, I delighted in the splendour of traditional Korean folk performance.

Everything about the Seokchon Lake left a smile on my face and the thought of leaving in five days made my heart bleed. I was devastated but I tried to keep a smile for Kim Tae Min, who seemed to enjoy our so called date.

We strolled on a walking path that connected the east and west lakes at the Seokchon Lake park. The pink of the cherry blossoms floated around us like confetti in its brightest array. While my mind reminded me that there was an expiration to the joyous moment, my heart told me to hold on to every second of that day. My last day with Kim Tae Min.

While Tae Min and I counted steps at the walking path, I eyed an old couple beside us. With hair as white as snow planted in few strands, an elderly woman and man both held hands and walked with smiles on their faces. Their wedding rings quite faded still shone gold under the sun’s glimmer. I smiled and took in a deep breath.

“Now that’s love.” I said out loud.

Tae Min turned to the couple and I saw the brightest smile on his pretty face.

“So are your parents still troubling you with that arranged marriage or is it a resolved issue?” He asked.

I stared at him in awe.

“Who told you about that?” I asked.

“You did.”

“When?” Confusion rocked the nerves in my brain.

“The first time we met.”

Then it hit me. The things I said to him at Banpo Bridge came flooding back. I was so embarrassed my cheeks were flushed in heat.

“Wow! You really did forget everything. That was good Bourbon then.” He said with a sigh.

It seemed he cared more about the Bourbon than me. As a girl who had a three year crush on him, I was frustrated at Tae Min. My anger spilled out in shockingly unexpected waves.

“Bourbon this, Bourbon that…what’s with you and that bottle of Bourbon?!”

“It was really old. I’m quite a gourmet when it comes to good liquor. So believe me when I say that Bourbon was saved for a special occasion.”

“Oh really?”

“Yes really and you just gulped it down like it was some cheap whiskey.” He said and made a face at me.