Chapter 71, It Happened Today

It was after six when the first Sullivan brother arrived, the sun long since gone with the shorter days. "Chris," Drew said to AJ as the car drove in, parking behind the Scout. Drew jogged to meet his brother, opened the door for him and gave him a two armed embrace, each thumping the other's back as men did. The passenger door opened and a friendly looking woman stepped out. She wore cut-off jeans, a loose fitting tank top, and a diamond that required a pair of ice skates. AJ extended her hand and the woman brushed it off, wrapping her a big hug. "I'm Clara and you must be Alice Jane!"

"My friends call me AJ."

Drew and Chris got the bags from the back of the car while AJ showed Clara up to their room. "Y'all did all this?" Clara swooned as they went up the stairs.

"No, Drew did all this. I made a mess with the paintbrush and Nick did the bathrooms."

"And the decorating?"

"Okay, that was me. I could not stand setting my drink on a card table for another second when he said y'all were coming!"

"It's perfect!" Clara gushed.

Upstairs, AJ gave her a quick tour, Clara noticing a framed postcard on a short wall that AJ had not yet seen. Had it been there since she returned? AJ wondered.

Opening the door to one of the back bedrooms, saying "And this is our room. I mean," AJ's face blushed brilliantly, hot with embarrassment. "I mean, I live in the cottage." She was wide-eyed, wishing she could unring that bell.

Clara cackled. "It's all good, sweetie. Drew has told us all about you."

Probably not everything, she thought.

Changing the subject, AJ asked how long they had been dating. "We're high school sweethearts. Been together nine years; figured it was about time!"

"That's so great. Have you been thinking about when the wedding will be? I keep Julia's calendar and it books up over six months out."

Clara's eyes twinkled as she said, "I know! It took us over a month to get the appointment! Really, though, we want to get married sooner rather than later." It made AJ's heart both ache for the memory of Blaise and yearn of Drew. "We want a big family, so as soon as Julia can get to us."

While the women were upstairs, the gravel driveway rattled under the tires of another arrival. Clara peeked out the window and said, "Oh, there's John and Lauren. You haven't met them yet. You're going to love them." They went downstairs and AJ introduced herself, both pushing her hand out of the way for that warm Sullivan embrace she had come to expect, John kissing her cheek.

Lauren held a perfectly tiny baby with pink cheeks, alabaster white skin and clear green eyes. Her rose lips were parted and AJ watched as her little tongue thrust in and out. "She's hungry," Lauren said casually. "Point me in the right direction and I'll feed her before she gets to meet Uncle Drew-skee and Auntie AJ."

"Auntie" AJ pointed her to a room upstairs. Lauren whisked the baby away to nurse and AJ felt a longing she had not experienced before, her breasts seemed to ache equally with her heart. Sensing something, Drew sought her out, wrapping his arms around her from behind, kissing her neck, and reminded her, "I'm prepared if anything comes our way."

"As long as it doesn't come tonight," she said, patting his cheek.

While Drew cooked hamburgers, Chris and John found a fire pit beside the house. They brought it towards the grill and went in search of firewood. The girls cut lettuce from the garden that AJ had planted. It was still producing thanks to the warm soil. They sliced peaches and strawberries, and Lauren made a vinaigrette that caused AJ to ask for the recipe.