"Till Thee End Of The Line"

Dreading because of the inevitable really steals away any chances of last minute happiness, it's safe to say I was miserable this past week.

It was my last night in the hustle and bustle of the city, although the sun had set hours ago, light illuminating from the skyscrapers touched everything in its path.

I leaned against the balcony simply taking in my surroundings one last time and feeling the chill of the cool breeze that caused my skin to erupt in goosebumps.

Just on cue, I'm engulfed by a familiar pair of arms that not only warmed my body but also my heart.

"It's surreal isn't it, how life and the world goes on even if you're missing from it?" I say whilst leaning back onto Micah's chest.

"Maybe outwardly that's how things may appear, but when it comes to the people whose lives you've touched, they notice the impact and are left trying to find a new normal."

"I guess wisdom did come with those grey hairs." I snicker trying to lighten the mood.

"You're right, maybe I should switch my major to philosophy instead of architecture." He says before giving me a tight squeeze and nuzzling his head into the crook of my neck.

"Hey look at me." Micah gently commands and I do as told.

"It's a 3 hour plane ride. Maybe your dad will let you come back on weekends and I can come to Texas too. We can ride off into the sunset. Get it? Texas, cowboys, ride."

"How are you a leather jacket wearing, tattooed and pierced, cigarette smoking guy yet you say corny shit like that?"

"Uhmm hello, haven't you read every single mafia and bad boy story? The danger and sex appeal levels we give of are on par with our sweet and sensitive sides. Plus I'm not the only walking contradiction around here."

"Oh this I have to hear."

"Well my little cloud, you are the pastor's daughter but we both know what a rebel you are, daddy hasn't seen the tattoo on your...plus you are a ballerina, soft, delicate and precise on the dance floor. A majestic angel. Yet I've seen you deck a guy twice your size."

"He said women are weak, what was I supposed to do?"

"Nothing, I couldn't have been more proud whilst dragging you away from him."

"It's getting kind of late, are you staying the night?"

"It's our last night together for a while, of course I am. You know the drill, I'll go and say goodbye to your father then sneak back in through the window."

The following morning

Micah and I had said our goodbyes before the crack of dawn. I could tell he was trying to keep a brave face and positive attitude about the whole situation for my sake, but truth be told I am a realist and I know our relationship ended with that goodbye.

Although neither of us wanted to admit it, among the distance, him starting work and college, cutting our losses now was the best option. An official break up was inevitable.

A wave of emotions washed over me as I stood side by side with my father in front of what was my home for the past 17 years. He placed a hand on my shoulder, maybe this gesture was his way of saying 'you're not alone' but in that moment it damn felt like it.

McKinney, Texas

Holden's p.o.v

"Dammit Holden, I can't keep coming here and fixing you up. At some point you're going to need a Doctor."

"That would be a waste of money and come on Grace, you're the best nurse around these parts." I wince as she firmly wraps a bandage around my ribs.

"What if next time you're not so lucky and get seriously injured? I promised your uncle I would look out for you and your brother while he is out of town but you're not making things easy for me."

A pang of guilt stung me knowing Grace was right. She and my uncle Jerome had started dating about 4 years ago, around the same time he had become the legal guardian of my brother Chris and I after my father passed away.

My uncle worked in the goldmine a town over which meant he spent copious amount of time away from home.

A year ago I had gotten a job at the local diner to help pull my weight around, between that and my other hobby we were living comfortably.

Although this place had its faults, it bred strong people and was my home. The town had a charm to it, from Mrs. Williams's salon to the saloon were the cowboys would hang out after a long day of working at the ranch, drinks and laughs were shared and you would feel that southern hospitality.

The town's folk were a religious bunch and without fail would congregate dressed in their Sunday best at church.

I myself was an atheist, although brought up in a Christian home, circumstances wavered and withered my faith away.

Word on the street is we are getting a new pastor from the big city, not many outsiders would choose to come to a place like this, perhaps our lifestyle was too 'old timey' for them.

People were happy here without that much influence from the outside world. They were content with what they had instead of always wanting more and chasing Judas gold.

They got to live life on their own terms, many had chances to leave our little town but chose not to, while others did and still moved back home to raise their families.

Who wouldn't want the whole white picket fence, although I admit with the dry air and dust of this place it would be more of a sand picket fence, big yards with apple trees and glorious sunsets?

Grace snaps her fingers at me and I am brought out of my inner monologue.

"I lost you there for a minute, follow my finger it could be a sign of concussion."

"I'm fine, just got lost in my thoughts."

"Alright, here take these painkillers and call me if you feel nauseous or anything out of the ordinary. Try not to fall asleep within the next hour. I got to go now, my shift starts in 20 minutes."

"I can drive you, let's go." I say whilst reaching for my keys and Grace immediately swats my hand away from them.

"I'll drive, you rest."

"Come on you know I don't let anyone drive Matilda, that orange pickup truck is my baby."

"Well consider I'll consider this payback for all the times I had to stitch you up." She cocks an eyebrow at me.

"Yes ma'am, as you wish."

"And go wake your brother up, ya'll boys need to eat and I made tacos for dinner, you favourite."

A few minutes later Grace drove off in my baby and I proceeded to go and annoy my little brother by jumping on his bed whilst he slept which was a bad idea on my part since I was in pain.

"Ya' know normal people would wake someone up by tapping their shoulder." Chris says sarcastically while rubbing his eyes.

"Well I'm not normal little bro, you're 13 I thought you'd figure that out by now." My face contorted as I sat upright on the edge of his bed.

"You've been at it again haven't you?" He asks obviously noticing my pain with an annoyed look on his face.

"You wouldn't understand okay."

"Oh I do, my brother is an idiot. Look I already lost mum and dad, uncle J is hardly at home, you're all I have Holden. Don't leave me to."

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere, it's you and me till thee end of the line."

"Till thee end of the line."