⚏𝑜𝓃𝑒⚏

⊱⎻⎻⎻♡⤽⤼◇❀◇⤽⤼♡⎻⎻⎻⊰

⊱⎻⎻⎻♡⤽⤼◇❀◇⤽⤼♡⎻⎻⎻⊰

As I stepped out into the sweltering heat that is New York City in the summer, I couldn't help but let out a slew of curses. "Jesus Christ, it's hot," I whispered, pinching my shirt and attempting to fan myself. 

This was my first time in JFK Airport, let alone NYC, and it was everything I had seen in movies—fast-paced and overcrowded. I made an effort to push past the people in front of me with my two clunky suitcases, but it was more of a struggle than I anticipated.

There were countless families reuniting, large school groups traveling for the first time, businessmen and women alike holding black briefcases, mothers nursing screaming babies—it was absolutely unbearable.

Once I finally pushed past a few excessively large groups, a line of yellow taxicabs was at my disposal.

"You need a cab miss?" the man asked, not bothering to look up from whatever was so captivating on his phone.

"Yes please," I said with a smile.

"Where do you wanna go?" he asked, finally looking up at me. I could detect a bit of attitude but chose to ignore it.

"Umm. I actually don't know the name of the building off the top of my head. Just give me a second," I implored, rummaging through my backpack.

"Let's go. I don't got all day sweetheart," the man retorted impatiently.

I gave him a nasty look, which he seemed to ignore, before reciting the address. "Found it. It's 672 Clayton Avenue," I said.

"Alright. Get in."

I stood there for a beat, waiting for him to take my suitcase.

He glanced back at me and rolled his eyes. "Move it or lose it."

"Are you not going to take my suitcase?" I asked, raising an eyebrow and presenting the luggage to him.

"What the fuck do I look like? The bellhop? Now throw your shit in the trunk and let's go," he cursed, letting out an exasperated sigh.

Before picking up my luggage and placing it in the trunk, I inhale deeply and mutter, "Welcome to New York, I guess."

The gentleman, or should I say asshole, didn't bother to make small talk, which I was grateful for. For the duration of the ride, I took in the aesthetic of the "Big Apple" and it all it had to offer me. This was exactly the fresh start that I craved and I wasn't going to let the events from my past continue to haunt me.

I felt the car slow down before making a full stop. When I looked up, I saw the driver had shifted in his seat and said, "We're here darling. That'll be $85.35."

"What?" I couldn't prevent the small yelp that had escaped my pursed lips. "Are you being serious?"

"You gonna give me the money or do I need you to repay me in another way?" he asked, his lips upturned to form a perverted smirk.