A Welcome Distraction: Part 8

TWO YEARS LATER 

"Kiah!" The barista shouted from behind the counter of the busy coffee shop in Gotham City. 

"Oh! Thats me! Thank you!" Kiah said grabbing the tray of three coffees. Kiah walked outside of the coffee shop to the table that Diana and Arthur were sitting at.

"So you really think we should tell her?" Diana asked Arthur.

"Tell her what?" Kiah asked setting the coffees down and looking at Diana with confusion.

"Well now we have to."Arthur said crossing his arms and sitting back in his chair.

"It's Loki..." Diana said. 

"What about him?" Kiah asked pretending not to care while taking a seat. 

"He's um... in Gotham." Diana said taking a long sip of her coffee. 

"How do you know?" Kiah asked trying to avoid eye contact with Diana. 

"Because he called me." Arthur said.

"He called you? You have a phone?" Kiah said. 

"Yes I have a phone. So you can stop having Bruce harass me every time you want to chat." He said rolling his eyes. 

"Why did he call you?" Kiah asked. 

"He said he wanted to get into contact with you but he didn't know how." Arthur said. 

"Thats bullshit. He has magic he can find me if he really wanted to." Kiah replied.

"Maybe he thought going through Arthur would be easier..." Diana said shrugging her shoulders. 

"Easier how? Because we are friends?" Kiah asked. 

"Maybe he thought him wanting to talk to you again would be too much for you so he thought it coming from a friend would soften the blow so to speak." Arthur said grabbing his drink and downing half of it in one gulp. "Fuck thats hot!" He seethed.

"Careful there fish boy." Diana said giggling.

"Don't call me that." Arthur said angrily. Diana put her hands up in defense and giggled again.

"What did you tell him?" Kiah asked Arthur. 

"Tell who?" He asked. 

"Loki! What did you tell Loki!?" Kiah said again.

"I told him that if he wanted to talk to you he could come meet you himself. I'm not his messenger boy." Arthur said taking the lid off his coffee to let it cool.

"Great, now he's just going to show up. Uninvited. It's been two years. He should have forgotten about me by now." Kiah said looking off into the distance. 

"It's kinda hard to forget about someone who is constantly in the public eye fighting monsters. I am sure he has seen you on the news and heard about you from all over." Arthur replied. 

"I don't know what to think. You guys are my family. You ALL are. I am forever grateful to be here. I don't need him messing everything up for me." Kiah then stood up. "I need to be alone. I will meet up with you both later." Kiah said hugging her sister then Arthur. 

"If you need us. You know where to find us." Diana said.

"I know." Kiah replied. 

That evening Kiah was sitting on the couch reading one of her favorite books in the apartment she and her sister Diana shared. As she flipped the page she felt a presence behind her. She slowly closed her book and reached down to grab the dagger stashed under the coffee table next to the couch.