Chapter 11

Coen addressed the Captain, “How many men do you have, and of those men, how many could handle themselves in hand to hand combat with seasoned Kanovians?”

The captain gestured toward the scurrying townsfolk. “You’re looking at them.”

“Numbers, Captain,” Cohen said sternly.

Oner glowered. “About 150. All but those come with your group out of practice.”

Coen’s face was grim. “You’re just stalling for time. You don’t have the men or the fortifications. What do you intend to do when they breach that wall and come after the women?”

Seeming unhappy to have a young upstart taking over his command, the Captain fumed, “What else do you want me to do? That wall is the best bet for our defense. If we fall back, we’ll be trapped against the very mountains that shield this valley!”

“Captain!” A soldier shouted from outside.

Immediately, Coen and Captain Oner abandoned their argument to rush forward, Kendrake and Tenan close behind. Without asking for permission, Ara followed. Running up the stairs two at a time, she crested the thick wall constructed of heavy timbers. The soldier looked at Captain Oner, and then at Coen; seemingly unsure whom he should address.

“What is it man?” Coen asked impatiently.

Seeming relieved to have the answer revealed to him, he pointed to a Kanovian holding a white flag just outside the range of their arrows.

His face set, Coen studied the Kanovian. “They want to talk. Fine. We’ll talk.” He trotted back down the stairs. Guards opened the reinforced gates just enough that he could slip through before heaving them back and dropping the heavy bar.

Ara watched as Coen and the Kanovian strode across the open field. They met in the middle. She could tell that the Kanovian spoke, but no sooner had he begun then Coen turned and headed back for the gate. The Kanovian shot out an unintelligible threat at Coen’s back before returning to his own men.

The guards opened the gates for Coen and then secured the bar behind him.

“What did they want?” the Captain called down.

Coen looked up at Ara. “Something we aren’t willing to give them.”

Ara felt sick and dizzy. She knew. They wanted her.

The meaning was obviously not lost to Oner. He surveyed Ara, her cloak, and the star in the center of her forehead, and then looked down at her Unicorn. He turned back to Coen, who had just arrived at the top of the stairs. “Isn’t that our decision?”

“No.” A fierce threat lurked under Coen’s words. The captain must have felt it, for though his face turned red with rage, he didn’t argue.

Ara hung her head, wondering what horrible fate awaited her. “I’ll go.”

“No!” Lodan, Coen, Tenan, and Kendrake all shouted at once.

Captain Oner shook his head sadly. “A noble gesture, but they wouldn’t leave, even if we handed you over. It’s not in their nature to keep their word.” All three men eased hands away from sword hilts. Lodan continued to watch Oner with a deadly gleam in his eye. The Captain lowered his head as he gestured to their meager force. “How can we fight them?”

Bounding up the stairs, Coen stood shoulder to shoulder with Tenan as they surveyed the enemy.

As they looked out, Ara turned back in. Hordes of women and children scurried about in comparison to the pitiful number of grim soldiers lining the wall. Without thought, she blurted, “Our women.”

She felt their stunned gazes upon her. She spoke quickly, before she lost her courage, “We all know how to use a bow. We can replace the soldiers atop the wall. Bring those soldiers down to fight the Kanovians who break through. Do it now and we can stall the Kanovians long enough for the children to escape to Sohn.”

“Sohn?” Coen asked.

Her father pointed south and a bit east, “A small village, higher in the mountains.”

Captain Oner glowered at Ara. “I might not turn you over to the enemy, but I won’t tolerate a civilian, must less a woman, telling me how to fight a battle.”

He turned his back pointedly to her and spoke to the men, “Sohn is even smaller than Bondell with fewer fortifications. Don’t rely on them to save you.” He glanced over his shoulder and saw her still standing there. “Why don’t you go help with the arrows?”

Coen towered over him. “I’m the commanding officer here, and I will give the orders!”

Oner took a surprised step back and pursed his lips.

At least Coen is listening, Ara thought. “Get everyone able to fight armed,” she said.

The captain couldn’t seem to contain himself. “The women don’t stand a chance in hand to hand combat.”

Ara shot him a look of forced patience. “I’m not suggesting they fight with swords. Just their bows.” She looked back at Coen. “Send them up the wall.”

 “And what if the Kanovians breach our defenses? What will happen to the women then?” The way he was watching her, it was like he wanted her to understand the consequences.

Ara didn’t falter. “Better to die fighting than running.” Coen remained silent. Sensing his misgivings, she gestured to the women. “It’s their decision. Ask them.”

Coen searched her eyes before facing the Captain, Tenan, and Kendrake. “We are outnumbered. If all the men contain the breaches, and the women fire from above, we may be able to hold them. If not, the children might stand a chance of escape—if we can hold out long enough.”

The men exchanged glances. They didn’t agree, but neither did they disagree. The weight of the decision would rest solely on Coen’s shoulders. He eyed them evenly, giving them one last chance to debate, before he nodded curtly to Ara. “Gather the women.”

~Thanks for reading! If you can't get enough, I have lots of books up for sale on Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes and Noble. http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Argyle/e/B004YE1BR4/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_3

Join my street team for amazing opportunities, like having a character named after you, mention in my acknowledgement page, free books, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/857943497557771/ 

And don’t forget to add all my books to your Goodread’s shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4629065.Amber_Argyle