Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Ara closed her eyes in relief when she saw Bondell nestled serenely below her. “The Kanovians haven’t attacked yet.”

Coen shouted so that the wind wouldn’t whip away his words, “Are you sure they cannot circumvent the wall?”

Tenan grunted. “Those mountains are steep, rocky, and tree crusted—impossible for large forces to transverse. The valley is shaped like a keyhole—the only entrance a narrow passage between cliffs. They’d be fools to risk it.”

“We man three watchtowers within the canyon,” Tenan continued. “Small groups, like the one that attacked us, could get around them undetected, but nothing larger.”

“And your defenses?”

Tenan pressed his lips together in a grim line. “A wooden wall with sharpened points and a protected walkway.”

Ara couldn’t help but see how flimsy the wall must look to Coen. As they entered the village, the townspeople cast knowing glances her way, but then their eyes fell to Lodan.

They stopped what they were doing to stare. It went without asking that she was the reason behind the Kanovian’s attack. Even her mother’s words couldn’t give her the strength to meet those gazes.

She started when the town weaver, Pedin Day, hurried to her side. Reverently, he touched Lodan’s side and then knelt beside them, pressing his forehead to the ground. Her mouth dropped open. “You can’t—”

 “You will bow to him, and nothing more.” Kodan said sharply.

She closed her mouth with a soft pop and inclined her head.

Other villagers fell to their knees. They knew of the prophecy—of the legendary power of the Unicorns. Somehow, they believed she could end the war and save the kingdom. Their faith left a boulder inside her stomach. “They can’t bow to me! They can’t! I’m no Queen. Only Ara, Kendrake’s daughter.”

“I already told you, you are more,” Kodan replied.

It was almost a relief to see men and women standing among those on their knees. Some of them glared at her, others watched her warily. The remainder seemed too stunned to choose one or the other.

The reactions the villagers were mirrored by her riding companions. Tenan kept shooting glares her way, Kendrake seemed unsure, while Coen seemed as positive of her place in the prophecy as any prostrate villager—though she thought it more likely that he’d shove her toward the Kanovians to fulfill her prophecy before he’d bow to her.

Wasting no time, Coen found the Captain of the Guard, a man named Oner, inside the guard’s station at the main gates. “Report.”

After gaping at Ara, the man straightened. “The first watchtower must have been caught unawares, for they didn’t set their fires, and they’ve not come in. I’m assuming they’re dead. The second watchtower lit the fires. Upon seeing the flames, the third did as well, but it was still night. By the time we could see the smoke, they were nearly here. We sounded the alert and sent riders to summon help from Sohn.”

He scratched under his cap. “It was dark when they counted, so there isn’t an accurate tally, but I’d estimate the enemy over 400 strong. I put the women and children to work procuring more arrows, bandages and such, and preparing to evacuate.”

Tenan leaned in to Coen, and Ara barely caught his words, “That wall was never meant to take a long siege—only hold off raiding hordes.” The two exchanged dubious glances.