"Khye." I whisper and then I begin to rush through the crowd, trying to catch up with him.

I watch him turn a corner and I stop in my tracks when I see it's an alley way. There are tents lined up along the side as well as other people.

Khye turns to the side and I now I know for sure it's him. My heart breaks as I see how drugs have affected him over the years. His brown skin is dull and his lean figure now looks frail. His hair is shaved into a buzz cut and his face is covered in a beard. Something he was so against when we were younger.

I choose to be wise and back away. It would be stupid of me to walk through there alone, especially with people under the influence of drugs-including my brother.

I continue to step back but Khye decides to turn around and make eye contact with me. My lip trembles and my eyes water. The look of shock etches onto his face and he begins to stumble forward towards me.

I'm frozen. I can't move.

It's been ten years. He disappeared when he was nineteen and I twelve. He was my best friend and seeing the state he is in now breaks my heart even more.

"Mar?" He croaks and I continue to stare at him with wide eyes. "Mar." He repeats and I blink away the tears.

"Khye." I whimper and reach a shaky hand up to his hollow cheek. "Y-You left." I whisper and his own eyes begin to water.

I look behind him and I clench my eyes shut.

"This is how you're living. You don't deserve this. Why did you leave me?!" I begin to sob and step away from my him. He stares at me with empty eyes and I have to look away from them. "You promised you would never leave!"

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." He whispers.

"You left, mum and dad were so scared and worried. It almost tore the family apart looking for you! We thought you were dead!" I throw my arms up in the air. "We grieved for you, Khye." My voice cracks and he bites his lip.

"I-I let you down, I'm sorry. I couldn't stop, Amara, the drugs have me hostage and I can't stop! I want to stop!" He runs his hands down his face.

"Khye, we've got to go!" An old man who stands with a woman calls out and Khye turns around.

"Don't go." I plead and he clenches his eyes shut. "Please, Khye. I-I....Matthew will want to see you as well." Khye pauses at my words and he looks at me in shock.

"H-How do you know Matthew?" He whispers.

"He's my boyfriend." I play with my fingers nervously and Khye releases a small, shaky breath. "He misses you."

"I let him down too." Khye says, looking at the ground. He begins to scratch his arms and I don't miss the scabs from where he's probably injected whatever drugs he can get his hands on. "I can't go back, I'm too ashamed. I'm sorry Mar." He objects and before I can protest he rushes down the alley way.

I wipe the tears from my face.

This has been a bad day.

•••

"Mara, you haven't said a word since you got in. I'm getting really worried." Matthew speaks up and watches as I move my pasta around with my fork. "Baby, please talk to me. Have I done something to upset you? I'm really sorry if I have."

I sigh and place my fork down.

"I-I.....Erm." I bite my lip not knowing how to explain what happened earlier on.

"It's okay, take your time." Matthew comforts me by taking my hand, rubbing the the back with his thumb.

"I saw Khye." I whisper and his movements stop and he looks at me with wide eyes.

"W-What?" He stutters. So I begin to explain what had happened and by the time I've finished the story Matthew looks even more shocked.

"He's too ashamed to come home." I sigh.

"Amara, I don't want you going back there by yourself. Do you understand me?" Matthew questions me sternly. "Amara."

"Yes." I nod my head.

"Come here." He opens his arms up and I climb onto his lap, wrapping my arms around his broad shoulders. "We'll get him back home, I promise." He whispers, rubbing my back.

"Thank you, Matthew." I kiss his cheek and he smiles.

"You had me so worried this afternoon when I walked into the lecture hall and you weren't there. I asked your friend where you was but she had no idea either." He reaches up to stroke my cheek.

"I should have told you. I'm sorry for worrying you." I lean into his touch, kissing the palm of his hand.

"I-I care about you." Matthew says, burying his face in the crook of my neck. "So much."

"I care about you too." I smile, stroking his hair.

A/N
💜