One

The sun graced the polished stone castle and all that were lined outside it with its brilliance. The midday heat scorched the stone pavement, burning Astryn's legs through the ragged brown dress she wore. Sweat had already formed underneath the tight collar she wore around her neck, regardless of the discomfort she didn't dare to adjust the ornament.

The hot summer breeze caused Prince Ailluin — who stood behind Astryn with the rest of his family — to mumble and groan, asking his father why it was taking their guests so long to arrive.

"Quiet boy, they're here," the king demanded, causing his son to fall silent in an instant.

Astryn looked up at Princess Elmyra from her position on the ground. The princess stood at the end of her family, besides her brother. Elmyra was already staring at her, a pitiful look fallen on her stunning features. For the occasion she wore a dress with golden silk that wrapped around her front from her lower back, covering each breast and folding over the thin gold string around her neck— leaving majority of her pale skin for the sun's bite. The lower half was a drop of gold and a variety browns that billowed out with the length of it. Her amber hair plated in intricate designs, bound by gold thread.

Astryn shifted on her knees as she turned away from the princess, unable to bare such a look. Her movement tightened the chain connected to her collar, causing the King to tug the chain with a low growl — a warning.

Astryn didn't move again, placing her hands in her lap. She watched as the oncoming party of Elves made their entrance through the castle gates in the distance.

The family of three were positioned at the head of the party, mounted on glorious war horses. Two dozen Elven soldiers followed close behind on foot. Each and every one of them bore the colours of Eldoria — green and gold — signifying where their loyalties lay.

Astryn glanced at the king's guard opposite the royal family. They stood in a line with a stillness Astryn could only ever compare to a stone statue, their grips firm on their spears as the Alvorgore family halted a few feet away.

Astryns gaze was drawn to the young lord as he dismounted. She had only met him three times before, and each time they spoke he was kind to her. However, Elmyra was always cautious of him.

"Be careful of Lierin, Astryn," Elmyra had warned before their arrival. Astryn didn't get the chance to question her before they were interrupted by a maid, who swiftly pulled Elmyra away for her dress fitting.

Astryn turned and bowed her head, realising she had been staring when Lord Lierin caught her gaze.

"King Alsorin, you and your family look well," the foreign lord greeted as he approached the King.

"Likewise, Lord Heilar."

Astryn heard a clasp of hands before she felt the foreign Lord's eyes on her. She raised her head, meeting his stare.

Even from where she sat Astryn could see the shimmering glow of his hazel irises. She had always thought it was a crime for such repulsive beings to have such magnificent beauty.

The Lord smirked. "How amusing."

That was all he said about Astryn before moving to greet the other members of the royal family.

~~~

Sometime after the arrival of the Eldorian soldiers and the Alvorgore family, Elmyra had stolen Astryn away, taking her to the gardens.

"I'm sorry... about what my father had you wear this morning," Elmyra apologised as she cut a rose from the well-groomed hedge.

Astryn looked up from the basket of flowers she was holding for the princess, watching Elmyra's delicate hands reach between the thorns for the brightest roses.