Chapter Seventy One

"I feel like I'm living in some sort of...horror film." Catherine admitted as Bucky and her sat on the couch watching the Captain America want to be run across a football field. It was sickening seeing him wearing the uniform, holding the shield, using the name.

"You and me both." Bucky agreed. She glanced over at him, angry eyes glaring at the TV. She took his hand in her's giving it a gentle, reassuring squeeze. While it was hard for her to watch, she knew it was 10x harder for Bucky. He had been by Captain America's side since the beginning and now this guy was stepping in.

Catherine had to admit, he had the charism. Had the right mix of humbleness and confidence. He had the military experience, the metals, the want to be the face of Captain America. He was easily winning everyone over, well everyone minus Bucky and her.

"Look, here's the thing, I'm not Tony Stark. I'm not Dr. Banner, okay? I don't have the flashiest gadgets, I don't have super strength. But what I do have is guts." John Walker spoke on the TV.

"Did he...just..." she couldn't even find the right words. "He just implied my brother did not have guts."

She could feel her hands shaking with anger. This man had never even met her brother. He had no idea what he did or the sacrifices Tony made. She thought she was going to throw up.

"Please feel free to use the metal arm and punch the TV." She added.

Bucky swore he could feel the rage radiating off her. Her brother was a very touchy subject, especially coming out of the mouth of someone who didn't even know him. Bucky could feel his own anger rising as the man talked about Steve as if he knew him. And then he called him his brother. Bucky sent the remote flying against the wall.

He bent over, head between his legs, chest rising and falling rapidly. He felt Catherine's hand rest on his back and it was almost soothing. "You okay?" She whispered.

"Not really. He didn't even know Steve." Bucky said heartbroken. "Like you said, it's like a horror movie."

"If you ask me, someone needs to knock him off his high horse." Catherine proposed. "And I would gladly be the person to do it."

"I know you would. I think all of us would."

Catherine heard her phone ring. Of course it was Sam. Maybe he was calling to apologize for handing the shield over? "Hey Sam."

"Hey. I know it's probably late, but I've had Redwing gather some intel on that group the Flag Smashers. I was going to see if my intel was right, but I may need back up." Sam explained. "I know you have a kid now, but I could really use Bucky and you."

Catherine closed her eyes and sighed. It had been so long since she had gone on any ops, well that didn't include the whole fight with Thanos. Ops were their specialty. However, Sam was right. They had William now. They couldn't just fly to another country with guns blazing. The Flag Smashers could be incredibly dangerous if they were indeed super soldiers. "Let me talk to Bucky first. We would need someone to watch Will as well."

"Okay. I understand. If you decide to go, meet me at the base." Sam told her before hanging up.

Catherine brought her fingers up to her temples, gently rubbing them trying to alleviate the headache that was forming. She didn't want to ask Bucky to help. He was already fighting an internal battle. He didn't need to be in an external one either.

"I know that look." She heard him say.

"Sam needs our help." She told him.

Bucky looked surprised. "After what he did, he wants our help?"