I returned her kiss. "Always. You're gonna make it."

"Well, this is certainly helping," she teased.

"Then take as much as you need," I said, holding her close.

She smiled. "Oh, I intend to."

Then we got back to work, sharing soft kisses in the faint light of the garden. It felt so real, as if I was actually there with her. The moistness of her lips and tongue, the warmth of her body, the floral scent of her hair. I could sense it all, and it made my heart race. Eventually, we finally came up for air, our eyes lingering on each other.

"So anyway, are we... dreaming?" I wondered.

Jessie shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe. Or maybe not. I don't think it really matters. But whatever it was that happened in the pillar, I know you did everything you could. For me and Sector 7."

"Jessie..." I began.

She pressed her finger lightly against my mouth. "Ah, ah. Remember what I told you. I've gotta figure this out on my own. Just... be here with me for a while, okay? I've missed you."

I nodded as she let go. "Sure. Same here."

"Wanna know something funny?" Jessie smirked. "I was just thinking about you before I wound up here. Remembering, actually. The night we first met. When you saved me from those thugs."

"We kicked their asses," I nodded.

She laughed. "You're damn right! We made a pretty good team, huh? Those guys never stood a chance."

I knew we did. "Yeah. And we will again."

"Can't wait, merc," Jessie said, taking my hands in hers.

"Listen, Jessie..." I told her, not sure how much longer we had in this place. "We're inside the Shinra Building now—me, Barret, and Tifa. Met a new friend here, too. Red. You'll meet him when we get back. We came here to save Aerith, and we did. Got caught on the way out, but we're not giving up. We're gonna break outta here soon and escape. And then we're gonna save you. So keep holding on."

She gave my hands a gentle squeeze. "Will do, Cloud."

I reached into my shirt, knowing what I'd find in there, and carefully pulled out her star pendant. "Found something you left behind. When we fought Hojo's monsters to rescue Aerith, it protected me and kept me safe. You saved me, saved us all. So... thanks."

Her lips fused tightly with mine in a fierce kiss, and when she pulled away, she smiled brightly. "Happy to lend a hand! Remember what I told you before our first mission, Cloud? I'll always take care of my hero, just like he takes care of me. That's a promise."

I held her for a while, just enjoying this quiet moment together in the garden, flowers around our feet and the sound of the waterfall soft in our ears. As we stood there with our arms around each other, Jessie's head on my shoulder, I saw the Hardy parked over by the front patio of the house. Jessie looked up and saw it too, her mouth curling into a little grin when she did. And I knew exactly what she had in mind.

"How 'bout a ride, mister?" she teased.

I smirked. "Let's mosey."

We got on the bike, and I started it up as Jessie slid her arms around my waist and brushed her lips across my cheek. The sound of the Hardy's engine as we pulled out and drove down the narrow road was loud in the stillness, but we didn't mind. This was our time, and as we headed down the dirt streets of the Sector 5 slums, I realized it was empty. There wasn't anyone else here. We had it all to ourselves in this strange place that was more than just a dream. I didn't know what it was, and I didn't care. All that mattered was that I was with Jessie.