Black Stallion

A few weeks had passed in Saint Denis.
Y/N took shelter North of the city in an abandoned house. She had to force her horse to stay in an old shack every time the woman needed some rest. But when she was not sleeping, she was cautiously riding around town, looking for a chance to earn some money for food. It was all no good.

Barely anyone was looking for workers, but she did not want to rob anyone in a city full of officers and at that point she was desperate.

She rode peacefully in the city and stumbled across a church. At some point in life, she thought God-fearing folk were nicer than anyone else. She didn't think twice before dismounting and walking into that church. She opened the door and saw a few people sitting in the hall and then she saw a nun. The older dark-skinned woman looked at her and signaled for her to come closer.

Y/N did so.

The nun inspected the young woman with a sad smile. Y/N had dark bags under her eyes from lack of rest and nutrition and her lips were dry. Without saying a word, the nun gestured Y/N to sit down and then made her leave. She then came back with a small bowl of soup and two pieces of bread.

Y/N's eyes widened as she saw her approach with the food. "Thank you," the young woman whispered.

"No need to thank me, dear. I can see you've been through enough," she replied.

Before she started eating, she remembered that she was in a church, "I want to thank Him for this meal. I want to thank Him for bringing me here and opening those doors for me,"

The nun smiled at the girl and nodded. Y/N was not the religious type and never been to church much. But it was only fair for her to say her prayer.
That time she was really grateful for the meal, being on the verge of starving and all. She could finally have a decent meal, her stomach was already killing her.

"Where are you from, child?" the nun asked. She knew Y/N wasn't from around. In fact, it was written all over her. Her dirty clothes, unwashed hair - a local beggar type.

"I'm from everywhere...and nowhere," Y/N answered quietly.

"A dear soul like yours must have somewhere to go, no?"

"Sister, I don't think I got a soul if I'm honest. I've done some unspeakable, horrible things and I don't think I'll ever gain redemption for it all," Y/N spoke as she placed the empty bowl next to her.

"Not true. You came here in hopes of finding help and you found it, dear,"

"My desperation led me here, sister," Y/N sighed and looked at the nun, "I've been desperate to survive and it led me here. I'm in desperate need of money and food. I'm on the run since I was just a kid who knew no better. I'm 26 and it just keeps getting worse. I don't know what to do,"

Tears filled Y/N's eyes once again and it didn't take long for the nun to embrace the girl.

After a moment of silence Y/N stood up about to leave but the nun spoke, "Come back tomorrow. I might have something for you to do if you're desperate for coin. Don't bury yourself yet, my dear,"

Y/N nodded and made her way to the exit.

She quickly galloped back to her hideout to wait for the next day.
She led her horse into the shack, "I'm sorry, boy,"

She closed the shack and snuck her way back into the abandoned building.

Night came and Y/N woke up from her nap when she heard a bunch of footsteps in the front side of the building. She quickly got up and peeped outside the window only to see officers in blue standing around, chatting it up, planning their next move. A few local folks were there too, talking to the law and pointing at the abandoned house. They were responsible for it all.