Chapter 36: The Real Blood Bath

Start from the beginning

Bad things happen to her anywhere she went but she wasn't going to argue. "O-Okay. When I find them, that'll be the first thing we do. We'll leave Mark and everything." Again, Gloria couldn't promise any of that, or if she would even make it out of there alive herself, but that wasn't going to be something she told him. 'This isn't fair!' was playing in her mind over and over again as she continued to cry. "Gyro, I love you. I am so sorry I couldn't do more for you."

"Don't apologize..." Gyro laid a shaky, blood covered hand on her cheek. "I'm g-going to go to sleep now, okay?" For good.

She squeezed him tighter. "No- no you're not! Stay awake just a bit longer for me! Please!"

Gyro Gearloose, the snarky, twig-ass man, began to tear up. "I- I can't."

"Yes you can! Yes you can! Just keep talking to me, okay? Please... I- I can't lose you, too!"

"I'm glad I met you, Gloria. You changed m-my life completely, though I didn't a-act like it when I should have." He gulped. "I love you."

She kissed him again. "I love you, too, Gyro. Thank you for everything. You are my best friend. My number one. And I am so proud to call myself your fiancée." She gave him a weak smile.

When he didn't respond she froze.

The rising and falling of his chest had ceased. But the most terrifying thing was his eyes. They were blank and glassed over, as if it had happened by a simple snap of a finger.

"Gyro?! GYRO?! No no no no!! PLEASE DON'T GO!" Gloria began to sob as she started to shake his body. "PLEASE GYRO! WAKE UP!" Nothing was working.

She desperately felt around for his pulse and it had stopped, except for blood still leaking from his wound. She moved on to laying a hand over his heart as if the pulse hadn't said enough. It wasn't pumping either. She finally moved Gyro off of her lap, laying him flat on the ground. There was a lot more blood on her than she originally thought. She closed his eyes with her fingers and crouched over his body, desperately holding onto his hands. All that Gloria could do now was sob.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"Do you think they have a vending machine? I used to have vending machines around here but they aren't in their places so like... what's up with that?"

"They most likely got rid of the vending machines, Mark." Ellie was only half paying attention to him. She was the one putting all the effort into looking for Boyd if that wasn't apparent enough already.

"Ummm... what kind of evil layer doesn't have vending machines? Fucking idiots."

Ellie decided to not respond to that as they came across another cell, but this time there was someone in it. Two people, actually. Abigail and Launchpad. Ellie took out one of the extra keycards Wyatt gave her, because plot, and disabled the hologram.

"Have either of you seen Boyd?" That was the first thing she asked rather than if they were okay. Abigail may have been crying but that wasn't Ellie's main concern at the moment.

Launchpad spoke first, much to everyone's dismay. "Uhhh no we haven't Mrs. E! Boy, this must be an intense game of hide and seek, huh?"

Abigail wiped her eyes and stood up, immediately running to hug Ellie. "I want to go! A-are we escaping?!" She assumed that they were, given that Ellie and Mark easily opened their cell door without getting caught.

Launchpad stood up too and gave Mark a big bear hug, lifting him off of the ground. "Are we having a hug party!"

Mark started to squirm. "Wh- Hey! Hands off the merchandise, himbo!"