"They expanded as more packs joined," David says once our luggage is unloaded. There is no one to guide us now, but there is no need—David knows the way. He takes me into the campus as if he's visiting his childhood home. "Our suite is in the main building. Our pack and four others are the founders and constructors."

My eyes are consumed by the elaborate, extravagant detail on the inside. I feel as if a Queen lived among this heavy, carved stone in medieval days; wandered these vast halls and curving stairways. David doesn't give me time to explore—not yet—as he leads me directly to our private space. By the look of the door, I'm expecting to see age-appropriate furniture and decor. Weighted fabrics, candlesticks, and dense drapery, but instead I am greeted by modern luxuries. The walls and floors are the original stone, but there is a living room, a dining table, and many doors.

I wander into a restroom then a small hallway. Down this way are a linen closet and bedroom. The bedroom has an ensuite and closet, and David brings our things into here. Through a single, large window sits the entirety of the vast wasteland that is nearly forgettable from the inside of this fortress.

It's a bizarre mixture of their history and the living standards Alphas and Lunas refuse to go without.

"Think you can make it four nights?" David asks.

I look from the window and say, "So this is what you've been hiding from the rest of us. And everyone has a room like this?"

"They're all similar, yes. There are only five rooms in this building, and they belong to the founding packs. There are more rooms in the surrounding buildings. Think of it as the longer a pack has been a part of this, the older their building is."

I smile and shake my head, taking in the room with my arms crossed.

His gaze remains on me.

"What is it?" I ask, quieter than I thought I would be.

David asks, "Can I not just look at you?"

I swallow and step backward, feeling the bed hit the back of my thighs. I turn and look at it, brushing my hand over the duvet for a second before muttering, "Don't be so dramatic."

"I remember when you wouldn't let me stand too close to you. That wasn't so long ago, you know."

"Yeah, yeah, and now we sleep in the same bed. We talk about our feelings and do all kinds of mate...things." I bite my tongue, regretting the way I worded that. "If you don't want to sleep on the couch you better stop staring at me like that."

David nears, moving so subtly that if I were distracted, I wouldn't even notice. I cross my arms and put on a brave face. "You're acting weird," I accuse. "Why? Did I miss something?"

He shakes his head, acting oblivious. "It's just nice to be away."

"Is it? I don't think there's much of a difference to being at home, at least right now. It's still the two of us," I murmur as the space between us shrinks, "sleeping all night."

"We shouldn't switch things up?"

"Sure," I offer, "I can sleep on the right side instead if..."

The voice dies out, fading along with my ability to pay attention to anything else but him. David stands before me now, looking down with a controlled temptation. "I sleep on the right side. It's closer to the entrance, just in case," he says.

"Of course. Can't trust anyone, can we?"

"No one but each other."

"So you trust me?" I question.

"I brought you here, didn't I?"

I suppose he's right. There isn't necessarily anywhere for me to go, but it is a step forward. Having me out in the middle of nowhere is like a child using training wheels.

"So we have to watch the other Alphas and Lunas? Would they try anything?"

David says, "I don't think they would risk it, no."

"Wouldn't this be the place to do it? No loyal guards, pack members, back up. Everyone is all for themselves. Why not take risks?"

"I'm not someone they tend to take risks with."

I peer to the side, but David is quick to bring my gaze back to him. He moves his fingers against my jaw and guides my eyes to meet his. I tell him, I'm not falling for it—not out loud, of course—through the expression on my face. I can feel that angry, defensive girl itching in the back of my mind with her snappy quips and irrational fears.

"You trust me, don't you, Brigette."

"Sure," I say softly, "sometimes. Like right now I trust that you won't do something crazy."

"Crazy? I think we have differing opinions on what is exactly crazy."

My eyes follow his mouth as it stealthily draws near. "What are you doing?"

It's hardly a question. It's a breath of air and a heavy heartbeat. Instead, I should have asked, what are you doing to me? Because I know what's coming, and I know I am going to give in to him.

David's hands reel me in. "Is it really so crazy? You told me yourself that you aren't afraid."

His grip is firm, and I instinctively look down at his chest. I knew these things would start to happen if I continued trying. It's a ladder I've dared to climb. First step, forgiveness. Second step, effort. Third step, I'm in his bed. Fourth step, he holds me. Fifth step—well, we've been here before. I remember the second I brought my lips to his and promised I'd try to be good. I suppose the wine had helped with my courage.

I know when I look up, he's going to kiss me. I can feel it in my bones; my own alarm is blaring in my head, vibrating throughout me and worrying my heart. His hand tucks my hair behind my ear. "Brigette," he calls gently, his fingers under my chin.

My lips part and I take the smallest of breaths.

"May I kiss you?" He asks.

His voice—haunting—I'll hear it for the rest of my life, every time experiencing the same chills and desire as the first. I nod as my gaze lifts. "Yes," I breathe. His hands glide and caress each side of my face. He brings his mouth onto mine and the tornados and hurricanes and earthquakes of the world seem to settle. All falls silent.

He kisses me the way I'm sure he wanted to the first time—fully and gratefully as if each moment is being played out carefully and with consideration. I lean into him, opening my mouth just slightly, testing the waters and the limits of my knowledge. All I know about kissing is from what I've seen in my mother's movies and what I've heard from Lindsey. She always said, you just know, it comes naturally; I now know what she meant.

His fingertips brush into my hair as my mind starts to wander to other things, more primal things that are much more daring than an open-mouth kiss. My chin tilts up and I start to melt in his arms. I remember the distinct feeling of his hand straying unknowingly under the hem of my shirt that one morning. My mind stays there even when David leaves my lips. He remains close but looks over my face in its warm, flushed glory. My eyes focus on his even if my true focus is elsewhere. Sometimes his handsomeness hurts.

Both of us are too wrapped up in the moment to say what we are really thinking. Thankfully, dinner has arrived—magically and timely—and the knock from the main door in the other room snaps us from our trance.

David lets go of me to let the food in, but I wait for an extra moment alone. I peer over my shoulder at the bed, knowing tonight will be different.

*********************************************
Double update for your patience. Thank you!
I am nearly finished with this semester of college, and I'm really looking forward to summer break. Hopefully that means more updates!