𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

• • • • • • •

• • • • • • •

julie stared at the dahlia in her hands. it all came to her then. this was a sign from her mother. this was a sign that, even though the boys had disappeared, julie had to do was get on that stage and play. her band was gone, but she had to soldier on like she always did.

julie molina wiped the tears from her face, then marched her ass back into the building, brushed past flynn and the runner, and went straight towards the keyboard that shone in the light of a single spotlight.

"ladies and gentlemen, welcome to live at the orpheum. now, give it up for julie and the phantoms!"

the crowd clapped for her while julie carefully set the dahlia on top of the piano. silence fell over the hall for a second as she stared into the sea of people waiting for her to say or do something. with a deep breath, she pulled her doodled-on microphone out of its stand and smiled at the crowd.

"hi. i'm julie." she breathed. there was no reaction from the crowd, so she kept going. "um, tonight, i'd like to dedicate this song to my mom, who's been there with me every time i've played, and thank her for," she looked up to the heavens, "not giving up on me."

she paused, her mind wandering to char and the boys. somehow, she had a sliver of hope, that maybe, just maybe, they were late. maybe luke was trying to rewrite a background harmony at the last minute, or alex was spending too much time on his hair. maybe reggie couldn't find his flannel, and char was helping him search the studio. maybe they'd been held up by char, who was notorious for taking way too long to pick out an outfit. maybe that was it. they were just late.

that's what julie told herself. after all, denial is the first stage of grief.

"i'd also like to dedicate tonight's performance to three-" she shook her head and corrected herself, "four special friends who have changed my life completely. who have brought music back to me, held me together when i felt like i was falling apart, and saved this band. they saved me. it was their dream to be here, and this is for them."

julie breathed out slowly, gripping the microphone a little tighter.

"this song is for anyone who's lost their way. step into your greatness. don't give up. stand tall. thank you."

once again, the crowd clapped politely as julie put her microphone back in its stand. she stared at the keys for a second, grounding herself in the memories she had with her ghost band and the music she was about to play. breathing slowly, steadily, she put her fingers on the piano and began to play. it was a simple chord progression that gave way to a beautiful melody with deep meaningful lyrics that julie's mom had written right before her untimely death.

don't blink, no, i don't want to miss it, one thing and it's back to the beginning, 'cause everything is rushing in fast, keep going on never look back,
and it's one, two, three, four times that i've tried for one more night, light a fire in my eyes, i'm going out of my mind