𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

• • • • • • •

• • • • • • •

charlotte was screaming, but there was no sound coming out of her mouth. she squeezed her eyes tight, trying to stop the tears from falling from her eyes as she stumbled backwards into the couch.

she watched in complete and utter horror as luke crumbled to the ground, clutching his chest. she tried to run over to them, but it was like her limbs were stuck in molasses, moving so slowly that she could've sworn time stopped.

the boys were disappearing right before her eyes, jolts hitting them incessantly, barely giving the ghosts time to breathe in between. she couldn't do anything to help them. time moved too slowly for that, though it seemed like the boys themselves were in fast forward. the flashes of purple light were unyielding, almost constant. alex called her name, watching her struggle to get to them. his long blonde hair stuck to his face in the tear tracks that made their way down his cheeks.

charlotte couldn't wrap her mind around the scene in front of her. they weren't supposed to be here. they were supposed to cross over. they couldn't be here, it wasn't possible.

finally, she looked to reggie. he looked the weakest of the three, barely moving in between the jolts that rocked his ghostly body. it was a stark contrast to his bandmates, who twisted in pain every time the electricity hit them. charlotte was almost there. she was almost close enough to get to them, to do something, anything that might help them. reggie's supplicating blue eyes, clouded with tears, met char's. his voice broke when he whispered her name.

"reggie..." she reached out to him, just inches between them. she was desperate to grab his hand, or kiss him one more time before he went, but just as their fingertips were about to touch...

charlotte woke up, hyperventilating as she sat up abruptly. she glanced around the moonlit loft, realizing it was the middle of the night. reggie had fallen asleep up in her futon again, and she let out a sigh of relief when she saw him next to her. just to be sure, she carefully tiptoed over to the railing and looked down to the couches below her. the sleeping figures of alex and luke on the couch gave her a little peace of mind, so she padded back over to the futon. just as she laid back down, reggie raised his head and turned to her, blinking slowly.

"is it morning already?" he mumbled, his eyes still half closed.

"not yet." char laughed quietly and brushed the dark hair away from his forehead. "go back to sleep."

he hummed, then opened his eyes further to look at her. "what are you doing up, then? is something wrong?"

"i just had a bad dream." she whispered. "it was nothing."

he frowned sleepily. "what happened?"

char picked at her nails, staring up at the ceiling. "you and the guys disappeared. i was there, trying to get to you in time, but i couldn't save you."