𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

• • • • • • •

• • • • • • •

charlotte's eyelashes fluttered as she woke up. alex had fallen to the floor sometime during the night, and reggie's head was in luke's lap. his feet were propped on the back of the couch with charlotte's head resting against his leg. she had to stifle a giggle, looking at the three boys. she wondered if they fell asleep like this often.

she blinked a few times, taking in the studio with the fresh sunlight. it was a beautiful space, really. there was a loft, a grand piano, and an over abundance of plants. when she was alive, charlotte had imagined something similar for her first apartment-minus the cute boys. 

speaking of, she looked over at reggie's still sleeping face. she cracked a small smile as she looked at him. his lips were curled up in a kind of peaceful smile, and the sunlight streaming through the windows highlighted the freckles that dusted across his nose. a few unruly strands of hair fell over his forehead, carefully twitching with every deep breath that fell from his lips.

charlotte stood up, careful not to wake any of them or step on alex.

she wandered around, flipping through julie's cd collection and looking at the pictures that lined the windowsill. there was one woman who was in almost every single frame, and charlotte had to assume it was julie's mom. she did some math in her head, and realized that julie's mom would be around her age, maybe a little older.

42. that's how old charlotte would be if she was still alive.

one thought had been nagging at the back of her mind since she'd seen blake at the center, and charlotte hated that she felt this way, but it was true.

she was glad that she died when she died.
it was awful to say, she knew, but she'd always had a fear of getting older. seeing blake so sad and so old had just confirmed her fears.
now, she realized, she could be a teenager forever without a care in the world. she could do whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted, with whoever she wanted.

whoever she wanted.

charlotte thought of the shoulder she fell asleep on last night.

she had no idea why she trusted reggie so quickly, so immediately. it was a mystery to the usually careful and thoughtful girl.

she liked the way he said "char" and the way he smiled and snuck glances at her while he played. she'd never believed in that stupid soulmate stuff, or how some people were "meant to be," but she couldn't deny what was right in front of her. the same force that told her to go sit down next to him on the beach and stay the night was telling her to trust reggie. it was telling her that there was something about him. she didn't know what that something was. she didn't know why this was happening, but there was no point in denying it.
something was there.

charlotte made her way over to the band's setup. reggie's red bass practically gleamed in the sunlight. it was obvious he loved the thing, and charlotte giggled quietly, remembering how he shined it after rehearsing the day before.