𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

• • • • • • •

• • • • • • •

charlotte phased through the garage door, still holding reggie's hand. she could only imagine the looks they would get from alex and luke, but by this point, she was used to their relentless teasing and jokes. they were like her brothers now, especially alex. she loved the kid, even though he and luke snickered anytime she and reggie so much as looked at each other. she really didn't care what they were about to say. holding reggie's hand felt safe and warm, and filled her empty stomach with butterflies. she gave his hand a quick squeeze as she tugged him through the garage door.
a satisfied smile grew on his face as he realized that she wasn't letting him go.

he would've held on to her forever if he could.

whether she felt the same way was a mystery to him. he thought she might, but in the back of his mind, there was her voice.
"i was in love with her."
was. maybe that meant she wasn't anymore. maybe that meant she could like him the way he liked her.
god, he hoped she did. he prayed she did.
this was the biggest feeling he'd ever felt, and his ghostly body wasn't big enough to  keep it inside anymore.
he had to tell her.

"reggie?" char waved her free hand in front of his face. "did you hear what i said?"

"yeah, whatcha thinking about, reg?" luke looked over from the back of the couch. "not used to pretty girls holding your hand?"

alex didn't tell him to shut up this time, and instead laughed along, wiggling his eyebrows at charlotte.

"i'm getting used to it." reggie replied with an embarrassed laugh.

charlotte blushed, feeling him squeeze her hand a tiny bit.
alex noticed the minuscule gesture, and he silently gasped, his eyes going even wider while he stared her down.
she gave him a pointed glance, and disentangled her fingers from reggie's.

"so, you're done with overdrive songwriting mode." she flopped down onto the couch and looked up at alex with her head in his lap.
"play me something."

"didn't we just serenade you the other day?" luke groaned.

"yes. and i loved it. " she poked his cheek, then sat up and nodded towards alex's drumset. "come on. you must be dying to play something for someone."

reggie was already up and plugging his bass in.

"reggie's ready to go." she giggled, then nudged the other two with her foot.
"i know you love the attention, patterson."

"shh, you'll hurt his ego." alex pressed a finger to his lips as he stood up. he twirled his stick through his fingers while luke got up to tune his guitar.