𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

• • • • • • •

• • • • • • •

the next day, after crashing in an empty motel room, charlotte made her way down to the beach to find reggie.

he wasn't in front of the bike shop like usual, but she decided to wait it out.
so, charlotte sat down in the sand and started to sift sand through her fingers, thinking about the day before.

blake's daughter was named ivy.
after her.
charlotte ivy adams.

she didn't know why blake did it. if it were her, that would've just made her even sadder, but she could see that blake still thought about her every single day.

charlotte knew that wasn't really healthy.
she didn't want to be forgotten, but blake had never let herself move on. she felt slightly guilty for that after her little stunt the first time she saw her best friend, but even before that.
charlotte had been dead for 25 years, and blake still wasn't over it. maybe it had made her successful with starting the grief center, maybe it helped her help other people, but first and foremost, charlotte realized, blake needed to help herself. she needed to let charlie go.
and, maybe, to do that, charlie needed to let blake go.

charlotte sighed, picking sand out from underneath her fingernails while she thought it over.

it was easy enough to say that she needed to let blake go.
it was another thing to actually do it.

charlotte lost her best friend as much as blake lost hers-without so much as a goodbye. now, to think of having to give blake up again...
charlotte didn't know if she could do it.
blake was the last thing she had left of her life.
her parents finally moved on, and so it seemed had everyone else. her best friend was the one person who hadn't.

charlotte finally checked her watch.
without even realizing it, she'd wasted two hours sitting and thinking and waiting for reggie. it was obvious he wasn't showing up here today.

she pushed herself up off the ground and dusted the sand off of her shorts.
charlotte was disappointed, she wasn't going to lie. since the minute she left the studio, she was looking forward to seeing reggie again. it was all she thought about, honestly. like before, there was something about him.

her legs tingled with pins and needles as she started to walk towards the street, then sighed heavily and decided to pop away.

charlotte reappeared in the driveway in front of the studio.
she took off her sunglasses and checked her appearance in the reflective lenses before perching them on top of her head. she walked over to the garage door and knocked lightly.

"reggie?" she called. "it's char."

there was no answer.

"you weren't on the beach." she said.

after another few seconds of silence, the door opened, but instead of reggie, the girl from two nights ago opened it.

"oh, hi. julie, right?" charlotte smiled and stuck out her hand, but julie's passed right through it. charlotte gasped. "oh my god. you're a lifer?"