𝐬𝐢𝐱

• • • • • • •

• • • • • • •

california was uncharacteristically cloudy a few days later. charlotte wrapped herself up in her jacket and let her hair down. she'd managed to stay away from the grief center for the past few days by distracting herself with something else: the boy in front of the bike shop.

he was there every day, sitting in the sand for hours, staring at that building, drawing shapes in the sand.

charlotte would sit down the beach from him, sunglasses on, pretending to read a book she took from the library or fiddling with her shoelaces. the sunglasses were stupid, she knew. he couldn't see her either way, but, she thought, just in case.

he wasn't that interesting, honestly. he didn't really do much, but, nevertheless, she sat and stared at him until he left. he was kind of cute, even from far away, and he was always wearing this leather jacket that was similar to hers. today was no different when she saw him come onto the beach.

charlotte was shocked to see him. despite the clouds, there he sat in front of the bike shop.
she watched him from her usual spot down fifty or so yards.

he uncrossed his legs and heaved a sigh, then laid back on the sand. charlotte giggled to herself when he put his hands behind his head and kicked his legs up in the air.

she didn't know what came over her at that moment, but charlotte stood up and dusted her shorts off, then popped over to him. with a hesitant look, she sat down a few feet away from him and crossed her legs.

"hey." he said.

"hi." she replied, then immediately whipped her head to him. he sat up abruptly, and sand fell out of his fluffy dark hair.

"you can see me?" they said at the same time.

"you're a ghost!" charlotte smiled. "i'm a ghost!"

his face broke into a cute grin. "i can't believe this!" he said. "i thought i'd never find another one."

"me too!" charlotte said, still smiling so hard her face began to hurt.

"i-i'm reggie." he stuck out his hand, and charlotte took it. "charlotte."

"pretty name." he said, still holding on to her hand.

"thanks. my friends..." she trailed off.

he raised an eyebrow. "your friends what?"

she sighed and shook her head. "i was gonna say that my friends call me charlie, but, um... not anymore."

"i'm sorry." he pulled his knees up near his chest. "i'm still dealing with the whole being dead thing, too."

"yeah. it's strange."

"you can say that again."

"if you don't mind me asking..." she looked over to reggie, who let out a little chuckle.
"you promise you won't laugh?"