18

"Hey. You weren't at school today and you weren't answering your phone so I figured you were home... I brought you your science books." The blonde said nicely, holding up my text book. So I had slept the whole morning huh... cool.

My mother seemed pleased by this scene, "You're lab partners I see?" She said in a too nice way, and looked back at me.

I smiled slightly at Ashley as some sort of thank you, "Yeah, uh... I'm sorry I left them at your house this weekend. I was going to pick them up today."

"Oh..." Ashley looked at me very confused, "Uh, maybe we could finish where we left off?"

"Sure come on in," My mother responded for me before I could even speak.

I felt guilty for using Ashley as my getaway from my punishment. It was perfect to say I stayed at her house during the weekend to work on our project and that is why I didn't come home. I would save Diane from being caught (although I had that pretty much covered), and myself.

I guided Ashley towards our living room and my mother of course followed behind us.

"So Ashley, you have a boyfriend?" Mom asked.

I wanted to rip off my hair from the rage that question had set in me, of course my mother would suspect she was my girlfriend or something like that.

"Not yet, I'm actually quite into finishing high school and getting to meet someone in college, right now it's not one of my priorities." Ashley replied politely as she sat down on our living room couch.

"Uh, want something to drink? Water? Juice?" I asked Ashley, hoping to get a second to speak with the witch I had as a mom.

Ashley nodded her head, "Water's fine."

"K," I mumbled and walked out of the living room, grabbing my mom by the arm and dragging her with me to the kitchen, "Why are you asking her things like that?!"

"What? Does it bother you?" She lifted an eyebrow at me and crossed her arms over her chest, "You were studying this weekend?"

"Yes." I looked down and sighed.

She scoffed, "Why didn't you say so?!"

"I tried but you kept yelling. I told you I was with a friend." I told her, hoping I didn't look like I was lying because this might be the only chance I can get to set me free.

My mom nodded in understanding, "Well sorry for assuming the worse, but you didn't tell anybody where you were going."

"Does that mean I'm not grounded anymore?" I asked hopefully.

"No, you're still grounded."

Dammit.

"I don't care who you were with, you still lied to me and your sister, we had no idea where you were." She said.

"Can I at least go to school tomorrow?"

"I already told you no. You're gonna help me tomorrow with the groceries and you'll go with me to the hospital."

"Hospital? What for?"

"I have an appointment and you're going to go with me."

"Agh, fine." I turned around to get a glass of water for Ashley.

Later I came back to the living room with the glass of water for Ashley.

"What happened this weekend?" She whispered to me when I had taken a seat next to her.

I looked towards the kitchen in case my mother was eavesdropping, "Please please please just act like I was at your house this weekend. Whatever my mom asks, I was there."

"Okay... are you alright?" She asked nicely.

I nodded, "Yeah. Let's get this project over with," I winked an eye at her and then grabbed my text book.

Thank God I had chosen the living room for us to study because I didn't want to hear a word about the kiss I had given her, and I was so deeply uncomfortable with that that it was hard for me not to ask her to leave.

After a while my mother joined us in the living room. She had been reading in a sofa nearby, probably watching us work and making sure it was nothing more than that... after all she didn't accept gays here, right?

Surprisingly I helped with the best I could and we finished our project... which was basically a long essay.

Ashley went home and I went back to my bedroom, and found Steve getting rid of my door as my mother had told me.

I sighed. It was going to be one hell of a week.

————————————————

"Are you sure she's not your girlfriend?" Nicole asked me.

I sighed, "She's not. I don't have a girlfriend, Nick. You should have stayed at your dorm though."

My dark haired sister shrugged her shoulders, "I wanted to make sure she wasn't extra torturing you."

"I am being extra tortured. She even cancelled my therapist appointment!"

"I'm sorry Lou." She said, her voice just above a whisper.

I sighed. I loved my sister, I did, and I also loved my mom, but why?

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"What do you mean?" Nicole asked me, brushing a piece of hair out of her face.

"She's never grounded us, and now I'm very grounded. If I was straight and I had been with a boy all weekend maybe she would have just given me a sex talk instead of taking my door and my only scape of the house."

"Lou this isn't about you being gay. You lied to us... and you said some pretty hurtful things as well, you shouldn't have mentioned dad at all."

"I knew you were going to say that shit to me," I scoffed at her and ate another bite of my oatmeal.

"You used to be such a sweet girl, Lou. What's happening to you? You seemed frightened when you came home, if you were just studying then why so defensive? Why so scared of nothing?!" She pressed.

The panic started growing on me just like when I saw my mother and sister in the kitchen waiting for me. It's true though... what Nicole says... that I used to be a sweet girl. I am one, I think... but I don't understand how or what could have changed me... sure, I could blame Maya for fucking things up, or Diane for making me fall to my knees... I had no idea.

I had no idea what made me so irritated to anyone, I had no idea what made me despise being alive so much... and it was killing me.

It was killing me that I had lost all my friends, that I was secretly in love, that I couldn't find pleasure in things that I did before... like normal teenage girl things.

I was fucked in every aspect and my family getting close to the truth that I had been protecting was chaotic.

My soul could not handle something like that. I had lost Allie, I had lost Maya... I couldn't lose Diane.