Hollow Wood

Hecate held my hand in hers as we wandered through Hollow Wood. Nature surrounded us and we strolled with smiles on our faces, listening to the humming of the birds and the gentle swishing of the trees in the breeze. 

A week had gone by since Hecate and I confessed our love for one another. Of course, due to the fact that she was my teacher, we kept our relationship private. I didn't even tell Mildred about us being back together. I couldn't risk losing her again. 

"Your hair is," Hecate said timidly, taking a pause before finishing her sentence, "pretty. Today." 

I turned to look at Hecate and her eyes were focused on the ground below her as she blushed. 

"You're adorable," I replied, causing the corners of her lips to upturn and her cheeks to go redder. 

"You know," I said as we continued to stride through the magical forest together, "I never knew I was into girls until I met you." 

"Really?" replied Hecate, her eyebrows raised a little. 

"Yup. That's why I moved here in the first place. My goal was to avoid love." 

"Oh," Hecate said with a frown. "Sorry." 

"Don't be sorry Hecate," I said. "Falling in love with you was the best thing that has ever happened. It was meant to be." 

This made yet another set of cute tomatoes radiate from Hecate's cheeks. 

"Well, I have never been attracted to boys." 

"No shit Hecate," I laughed, her hand detaching from mine as she came to a holt and turned to me, eyes narrowed in confusion. 

"You have never heard that expression before?" I asked, receiving a shake of her head back. 

"It just means that it's obvious." 

"What's obvious?" she questioned. 

"That you don't like boys," I said. 

Our hands reattached themselves and we continued walking through the mystical trees. 

"Can one tell my sexual orientation with ease?" 

"Definitely. You are a true lesbian queen, my dear Hecate," I teased. "I mean, a pretty useless lesbian, honestly." 

"You are a hopeless romantic too!" Hecate laughed, her eyes shimmering in the sunlight that radiated onto us through the tree tops. 

"That is true," I giggled. 

"Hecate," I said after a few minutes of silently enjoying each other's peaceful company. 

"Yes, Ana?" 

"Why do you like me?" 

"What sort of a question is that?" 

"Well, you are so much better than me in every way possible. You're a much better witch than I am. You are far more intelligent. Not to mention your beauty. I'm no where near as good as you." 

"Ana, my lovely," she said as our walk stood still again. She turned to face me and placing her hand underneath my chin, her soft eyes gazed into mine. "You are perfect. And you shouldn't compare yourself to anyone else. Nor should you try to be like anyone else. You are your own person. And a wonderful person, that is." 

She took my hand back in hers and we continued to stroll. 

"In fact," said Hecate, "I look up to you." 

This caused me to laugh in disbelief. 

"I mean it," she said. "You may think I am great, but inside, I am really just -" 

"Broken," I whispered, finishing her sentence. 

The outer ends of Hecate's eyebrows dropped as she looked at me and nodded slowly. 

"I know," I said, quietly. "You need me Hecate. You are the toughest person I have ever met. Yet your heart is in pieces. I don't know if I'll ever be able to glue those shreds back together but as your lover, it is my duty to try." 

"It is not your duty to do anything, Ana," Hecate said. "You are young. You have your whole life ahead of you. My life has already been lived. I have made my mistakes and I have suffered from them. But those mistakes I made, those difficulties I have faced, they are my responsibilities. My problems to fix." 

"I know," I said. "And I know I can't erase those things, as much as I want to. But your life doesn't have to be over yet. You still have many years left. And I believe that one can always start again, regardless of how old they are. Things can get better, Hecate. You don't have to suffer anymore. I can help you. I can comfort you and be there for you, no matter what. I choose your happiness over mine, always." 

"That is very sweet of you darling," said Hecate with a smile. "And the same goes for you. I love you and I am always here for you." She lifted my hand with hers and left a gentle kiss on the back of it, love tingling through my body. 

"I love you too Hecate," I said, a grin painting across my face.