―five. campfire nightmares

Start from the beginning

They did not, in fact, have her favourite song on.

Charlie grimaces, elbows on her knees and palms clasped over her ears to try and block out the music, but the rhythm still pounded against the blockage, as if it's existence was purely made to make her miserable.

Someone plonked into the seat next to her and she turned to see a smiley Jason, she had never felt such a welcoming atmosphere before. ''Isn't this great?'' She yelled over the music and Charlie nodded, her lips tucked into a very unbelievable smile, but if Jason noticed it, she took no offence and went back to talking to Piper. 

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, he song ended. Charlie was so relieved, she felt like she could melt into a puddle — she could only listen as people pranced about singing of their grandma dressing for war, for so long. There was a rowdy applause. Chiron trotted up. He brandished a spear impaled with toasted marshmallows, and Charlie nearly smiled.

''Very nice! And a special welcome to our new arrivals. I am Chiron, camp activities director, and I'm happy you have all arrived here alive and with most of your limbs attached.'' He glanced at Charlie and she shook her head. He gave the slightest nod. She figured he thought she wanted everyone to know she was alive in her own time, but she was actually wanting to leave with as little resistance as possible. ''In a moment, I promise we'll get to the s'mores, but first—''

''What about capture the flag?'' Somebody yelled and despite the probability of it being an Ares kid, Charlie beamed. It had been a while since her last game, the feeling of victory was still sweet on her tongue. Grumbling broke out among the kids in armour, sitting under a red banner with the emblem of a boar's head.

''Yes,'' the centaur said, ''I know the Ares cabin is anxious to return to the woods for our regular games.''

''And kill people!''

''However,'' Chrion said with a strong look at the direction of the voice. ''Until the dragon is brought under control, that won't be possible. Cabin Nine, anything to report on that?''

He turned to Leo's group and Charlie's eyes found his almost instantly. He winked at her and shot her a finger gun. The girl next to him shuffled uncomfortably. She wore an army jacket a lot like Leo's, with her hair covered in a red bandanna. ''We're working on it.''

More grumbling.

''How, Nyssa?'' An Ares kid demanded and Charlie felt like launching her shoe at their face.

''Really hard,'' she said, sounding exasperated. Just how much was this camp crumbling? Nyssa sat down to a lot of yelling and complaining, which caused the fire to sputter chaotically. Chiron stamped his hoof against the fire pit stones— bang, bang, bang —and the campers fell silent.

''We will have to be patient,'' Chiron said. ''In the meantime, we have more pressing matters to discuss.''

''Percy?'' Someone asked. The fire dimmed further and a frown stretched its way onto Charlie's face. Though she couldn't go around singing about how she and Percy Jackson were best friends, the two were still close, how could they not be after all the quests and butt-kicking they had done together?

Chiron gestured to Annabeth, who took a deep breath and stood.

''I didn't find Percy,'' she announced. Her voice caught a little when she said his name. ''He wasn't at the Grand Canyon like I thought. But we're not giving up. We've got teams everywhere. Grover, Tyson, Nico, the Hunters of Artemis— everyone's out looking. We will find him. Chiron's talking about something different. A new quest.''

Charlie zoned out, maybe this was the excuse she would tell Chiron in a note after she had long gone, (you know, just for safety measures). She was out looking for Percy, and whilst it wasn't strictly a lie, Charlie would be able to travel the world again, and help look for her friend. It was a win-win situation.