24.

[CHAPTER 24 : WHITE LIES]

Going back to school wasn't appealing to Bella

Other than what had happened with her grandfather in the hospital, she had a good break. She finally had the time to relax and she honestly felt the happiest she had been in a while.

Especially since her and Tristan were talking again.

She didn't know what it would lead to and her sister thought it was a terrible idea, but Bella missed him.

She still hadn't told Simon about it, which she thought was okay since she knew how he would react.

She imagined that he wouldn't be happy. Simon didn't like Tristan at all.

But he didn't need to know. It wasn't like they were dating again.

Although Bella wasn't opposed to dating him again.

Plus, Simon had become busy with Lindsay, his girlfriend, and Bella was feeling a little lonely. Of course she understood that Simon was going to put his relationship first, but every time she thought about them together, she felt nauseous.

So, to distract herself from her loneliness she would either hangout with Dean and Rory, which was rare because she hated third-wheeling, or hang out with Lane and talking about music, or she would drive down to Hartford and hangout with Tristan for a bit.

The last one was Bella's personal favourite, but she didn't do it often to keep the boundaries.

But know the rush and fun of winter break was over and reality had to start once again. Now, Bella had to face the fact that she was going to see her ex every day and not just when she chose to. 

--- 

Seeing her school's building in front of her made her roll her eyes, where as Rory was practically jumping with excitement from the bus seat next to her.

"Gosh, I missed this," Rory said to her sister who was walking behind her.

"I don't understand why, but okay."

The twins walked towards the school talking about what they were expecting for this next semester when Bella collided with a body.

"Bella." 

Bella looked up to who she bumped into. "Tristan." 

Bella and Tristan stared at each other awkwardly while Rory, who was standing next to Bella, looking at the two of them uncomfortably.

Rory sighed, "Alright, so this is the part where I leave." Before Bella could even say anything Rory was running into the school.

The former couple watched Rory run away before looking back at each other in silence until Tristan broke it. "How are you?"

"I'm okay, how are you?"

Tristan sighed, "I would be better if this wasn't so awkward."

Bella sighed out a laugh, looking down to her feet.

Tristan watched his ex feeling nervous. "Look, it doesn't have to be awkward like this. We can be friends. I won't flirt with you or anything like that. I want you to be my girlfriend again, of course, but more than anything I miss being your friend."

Bella looked up to him with her innocent eyes, "You mean that?"

Tristan smiled, "Yeah, obviously. You're my favourite person to be around, I can't stand being away from you and if that means us being just friends, I'm willing to to that."

Bella smiled, before pulling him into a hug. "Thank you!"

Bella sighed in relief and smiled widely at Tristan. "What class do we have first again? I tried blocking school out of my brain while we were on break and it hasn't fully processed that we're back."

Tristan smiled at the girl as they made their way into the school.

Bella had to admit that she missed hanging out with Tristan just as much as he missed her. She hated being apart from him, but she still wasn't in the headspace to date him now. She still needed some time, and she was hoping that he would wait for her. If he didn't want to wait, she would understand.

She knew that it would hurt just as bad when Tristan would decide that he was done with her and just move on to another girl, but that was something she would have to deal with. She knew that. Bella didn't want to be in a relationship again at the moment and she felt as though that was okay, she was in no rush, but she could understand if Tristan wanted to date someone else.

If they were meant to be, they would find their way back to each other, she knew that.

Simon crossed her mind, and Bella decided that she wouldn't let him in on her rekindled friendship with her ex. She felt guilty about lying to him, but she knew that if  she told him that her and Tristan were friends again, it would just cause another conflict.

She couldn't handle another conflict.

It was just a white lie. It couldn't hurt anyone, in fact, it would just keep everyone happy. 

It was a good plan.

A good lie.