23.

[CHAPTER 23 : BROKEN HEARTS]

The Gilmore Christmas party was an annual event

The Gilmore Christmas party was an annual event. Typically, it was one of the only times throughout the year that Bella and Rory saw their grandparents.

This year was different though, not only were Lorelai and Emily in an argument, Rory and Lorelai were in an argument too, everything tying back to Rory staying out past her curfew. And the cherry on top was being invited to the Gilmore annual Christmas party without their mother.

The twins had to admit that they were nervous, not wanting to talk to the people that their grandparents had invited without their mother there but despite their discomfort.

Bella was dressed in a black dress, as she usually was for formal events. It was tight on top and flowing at the bottom, the dress went to right below her knee.

Bella didn't want to go to this party. She wanted to stay home with her mother, cuddled up on the couch watching movies as they did on Friday nights before the commitment they had made to eat dinner at their grandparents house.

At these types of dinners, where there would be strangers, Bella would typically hide behind her mother since she would do all the talking. Bella was not a fan of meaningless conversation, and her mother knew how to handle the meaningless conversation that those boring old people her grandparents hung out with interesting.

"Mom! Please come to this thing!" Bella begged her mother.

"No, Bella. Your grandmother doesn't want me there."

"Yes she does! She's just too proud to say anything," Bella explained.

"And I'm too proud to just go there. I'm not going and that's final," Lorelai huffed and then looked at her daughters outfit. "You look very beautiful, by the way."

Bella pouted, "Thank you, but I don't forgive you for leaving me alone at this stupid party."

"Hey! I'm going too! You're not alone," Rory finally appeared out of her bedroom.

"Shut up, Rory," Bella rolled her eyes. "I'm going to wait in the car, you're driving!"

Rory's jaw dropped. "Bella!"

---

"So how are you?" Rory asked her sister as they drove to Hartford.

"I'm doing okay, how are you?"

The two sisters hadn't had much time to hang out and catch up, a consequence of going to a high demand school and having separate social lives. 

"I mean with the whole Tristan thing, we haven't had much of a chance to talk," Rory pointed out to her sister.

Bella sighed, "Well, he keeps trying to talk to me at school and he won't stop calling, but otherwise I'm doing fine. Simon's been keeping me busy."