20.

[CHAPTER 20 : UNDER THE KITCHEN LIGHT]

Bella walked up to Simon's front porch and hesitantly knocked on the door and after a few seconds he opened it with a look of confusion

Bella walked up to Simon's front porch and hesitantly knocked on the door and after a few seconds he opened it with a look of confusion. "Bella?"

He didn't hesitate to move out of the way to let her in. The foyer of Simon's house was small but nice. There were pictures of their family hung up on the wall, there were even a few pictures that Bella was in. There was a staircase a few feet away from the door. She felt comfortable there.

"I'm so sorry for barging in this late--" Simon didn't let her continue her sentence.

"You never need to apologize to me," Simon reassured.

"Thanks Simon."

Bella looked down to her feet, insecure and not knowing what to say. Simon watched her with curious eyes. He could tell she was upset about something but he didn't know what.

"Bella," He started, her head still down, "What happened?"

Bella looked up at Simon with teary eyes, "I broke up with him."

Simon immediately pulled her into a hug, her head buried into his chest, his head resting on top of hers due to the height difference. 

Mr. Avery appeared from the living room, looking at the pair in confusion not wanting to say anything to ruin the moment. Simon saw him and gave him a look that said, 'I'll tell you later,' to save Bella from the embarrassment of someone else seeing her cry.

Mr. Avery nodded before disappearing into the living room once again.

Ryan Avery was like a father figure to Bella since her's wasn't around. Even when Simon hadn't been in her life because of his mom, Ryan would go over to the Gilmore residence for dinner from time to time and he would always check up on both Bella and Rory.

Bella and Simon stood there, in each other's embrace, for a couple of minutes before Bella pulled away. Simon took her hand and lead her to the kitchen to sit down at the island while he moved to the pantry to get her a bowl of chips, knowing they were her favourite snack.

"He's been an ass since the double date, you know," Bella spoke up, Simon turned to her from the pantry.

"What happened after I left?" Simon asked, turning back to the pantry.

"He told me he loved me."

Simon paused and developed a confused look on his face. "Okay, um, isn't that a good thing?"

"Apparently not," Bella told him.

Simon technically didn't have a problem with Tristan Dugray. He wasn't fond of how the blond boy was treating his best friend and her sister at the beginning of the school year but overtime, he seemed to get better. Simon could admit to fault in trying to egg him on during the double date, but he didn't think it was going to be that easy.

And seeing his best friend in the state that she was in, mascara running down her face, eyes puffy from crying, her hair all messed up, was something he never wanted to see.

Simon sat down next to her, placing the chips in front of her. Bella leaned her head on his shoulder and let out a sigh.

"I can't believe this is happening," Bella laughed.

"What?"

"I don't know. I just didn't expect it to happen like this. This isn't what I expected dating to be like. If it's always going to be like this, I never want to go through it again," Bella expressed.

"It's not always going to be like this," Simon reassured her.

"How do you know?"

"Because there are at least a few guys out there that would treat you right."

"What even is right?"

Simon sighed. "He definitely wouldn't have treated you like shit after telling you he loves you. And he would treat your friends right."

Bella smiled as Simon continued. "He would probably kiss you to shut you up during an argument. He would want to be around you at all times."

Simon took Bella's hand and helped her get up from her seat. "What are you doing?" Bella asked him but he ignored it.

"He would dance with you whenever he could," Simon said while putting his hands on her waist, while Bella moved hers to around his neck with a small smile coating her lips, her eyes still puffy from crying.

The two started swaying and Bella let out a small laugh, "There's not even any music."

"That's the beauty of it, Juliet. Being spontaneous. It's the best part. You don't need music to dance, you just need the other person."

He spun her and she let out a giggle as he pulled her back into his arms. Bella had almost forgotten about Tristan at that point, she was with her best friend and that was all she needed.

As they swayed, Simon looked into Bella's eyes. "Someday, Bella, you're gonna meet a guy who is going to treat you with respect. He's going to show you exactly what love is. Don't let what Tristan did define love for you, because love can be such a beautiful thing. I don't want you to think you deserve a love that is anything less than what I just showed you."

Bella paused for a second, still swaying with Simon, "Have you been in love?"

"Yeah," Simon answered simply and Bella didn't bother asking him any further questions.

The two swayed in silence under the dim kitchen light as Mr. Avery looked into the kitchen for a moment and smiled before leaving to go to bed, not wanting to interrupt them.

The best friends were still swaying in the kitchen, but now Bella had her head resting on Simon's chest.

"Love shouldn't hurt you, Bella," Simon spoke quietly.

"I know."

The held each other, finding comfort in each other's embrace like they always did when things went wrong. When Bella's first crush made fun of her after she confessed her feelings. When Simon had to move away and they weren't sure when they were going to see each other again. They always had each other's backs.

No matter what happened, they would always be there for each other.

"Wanna stay the night in the guest room?" Simon asked and Bella nodded, not picking her head up.

"I have to call my mom," Bella mumbled finally picking her head up.

The two stopped swaying and looked at each other with smiles, "Thank you," Bella whispered.

"Anytime, Bella."

----

A/N:

This isn't edited lol I wasn't even planning this chapter but I wrote it and it just worked so perfectly. I'm sorry if it sucks. 

I hope you like it. I'll edit it when I get the chance!!

Thank you for all the love <3