The Apparition

Darrell was at a loss about what to do. Should he break open a window? There was a sudden flash of bright light that filled the room. Darrell stood dumbstruck.

"Am I imagining things? Is this really happening?" he asked himself, as he looked away from the light because it hurt his eyes. Then the brightness faded, and a lady was standing in front of him.

Darrell had never in his life seen someone so beautiful. He stared. He wondered if he was dreaming. "Let me pinch myself", he said and did so.

He thought he'd wake up to find himself sleeping on the couch. But no. He was still staring at the luminous figure of the beautiful lady's image that shone like the northern lights. He noticed that she was like a shadow or reflection, that she was present and yet not at the same time, like an apparition, something immaterial.

"Don't be afraid. I'm here to help", she said in the most musical voice he had ever heard someone speak in. "Was this an angel or a ghost or some unearthly vision?" he thought, unable to make up his mind.

"Who are you?" Darrell asked before he could stop himself. "How did you come in?"

The lady smiled and said, "I'm Aurora of the fay folk, also known as the forgotten folk."

"Do you know what's happening? Darrell asked, looking at his mother, who was still standing, motionless.

"Yes. I do. But I can't stay long. You are now seeing my astral body. That is what you might call my spirit. I can't stay in this state for long because my mortal body is held captive by the wraiths. Let me help your mother", she said, gliding towards Darrell's mom. She muttered something in a language that Darrell hadn't heard before, and to Darrell's relief, his mother blinked.

Then she moved her arms and turned and looked at Darrell. At the sight of Aurora, she asked, "Am I, dead son? Are we both dead?"

"Neither of you is," said Aurora reassuringly. I must go. I've put a protection spell on your mother. She is immune to the curse the wraiths have placed on the village."

"Wait a moment. What happened to her, and why didn't it affect me?" he asked hurriedly as the light emanating from the lady, and her image began to fade.

"Very rarely, some people are immune to it. I'm sorry I can't stay around to explain more. I must leave." she said, and her luminous image faded off, and she vanished completely.

He turned to his mother, who was busy lighting up the fire in the fireplace. Fortunately, there was always spare firewood in the fireplace in case of an emergency.

Though it was dark outside, he realised something peculiar. All around the garden and beyond the gate, mist hung thick and low like fallen storm clouds.

"How are you feeling, mom?" Darrell asked, looking at her as she went on as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened a few moments ago.

"I think I had the most peculiar dream I had in some time. My mind is playing tricks on me. I suppose it is old age", she said after she had the fire burning and the flames crackling.

Darrell went close to the fire to warm himself. He felt the warmth seep into his skin as if he had immersed himself in a hot bath.

"I'll get some dinner ready" Darrell's mother was walking out of the living room. The power wasn't back yet. Darrell wondered if it would ever come back.

He didn't know much about wraiths, to begin with. All he knew about them were old stories, 'that must have more fiction than fact to them, thought Darrell.

He remembered his father. His room was always empty. All his things were in the attic. They were covered in dust and cobwebs, almost forgotten. Darrell took the lamp and climbed up the stairs and then up the ladder into the attic.