Prologue: The Past

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Because of you - Kelly Clarkson

******

The house was shrouded in darkness and the smell of cigarettes and alcohol permeated the air. Samantha realised, to her irritation, Jonathon had forgotten to pay the electricity bill...again.

She resented her present situation this was not how she foresaw her life to go. Her life was meant to be spent living in a mansion, unwinding and bathing in luxury, whilst her rich husband toiled day and night to fund her overindulgence of designer goods.

Not living in a small rundown house, with an alcoholic boyfriend as her only company and a 12-year-old daughter she never liked.

Samantha hated Michael King, how dare he die after she went through so much effort to trap him with a child. She didn't even get to inform him of her pregnancy as the fool died in a car accident before she ever had the chance.

She thought her life was going to change that night for the better when she saw Michael King, one of the richest businessmen in England, in the bar completely wasted.

However, Samantha couldn't have been more wrong. All she accomplished that night was getting pregnant with a man who would ultimately die in two days. Before she could leach off his wealth and trap him into providing for his child.

Samantha detested her daughter.

All she did was remind her of her foolish father and Samantha's failed attempt at becoming wealthy.

Her daughter didn't even look like her either to add salt to her wounds, she looked more like the King's, with her long ebony hair and big forest green eyes covered with thick eyelashes. Samantha could have somewhat withstood her daughter if she took after her features, blonde hair or blue eyes but she didn't...

She took after the King's, not her that's for sure.

Samantha could hear her boyfriend cursing and the sounds of glass bottles crashing against the wall in the next room.

She rushed over to the living room, in sheer panic whilst trying to navigate in the darkness.

"What the fuck are you doing Jonathan!" She said whilst looking frantically at the pieces of glass covering the carpeted floor and the upturned furniture. Samantha's living room was in complete disarray with all her precious vases smashed and broken.

"What do you mean what am I doing?" He asked with a mocking expression, whilst advancing menacingly towards Samantha.

"You forgot to pay the electricity bill and now I've also run out of beer you dumb bitch!"

Samantha was frightened she knew Jonathon could be violent at times when he was drunk but he was never this disastrous. Or maybe she had been blinded by his money at the beginning of their relationship to realise truly how crazy he could be. However, to her mortification, he didn't spend his money on her but to fund his alcoholic addiction. Jonathon wasn't the rich man she supposedly thought he once was, his money was "dirty" money used to fund his incapacitating dependence.

It also hadn't helped that John was once handsome with his brunette hair and chocolate brown eyes. So when she met him for the first time years ago, she assumed he was as idiotic as every other man, who couldn't see past her curvaceous body.

"Jonathon have you forgotten you're the one who pays the electricity bill, not me." She stepped back in a panic feeling the crunching of glass under her shoes.

Jonathon pulled Samantha's arm into a tight bruising grip. "Are you trying to say I'm lying? Now we have no electricity and I have no booze and someone's going to have to pay bitch!" He spits out seething with anger and blind rage, that consumed him when he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

Samantha tried to get out of Jonathon's tight hold but he was too strong for her. "Please let me go baby I'll go tomorrow to get more booze–"

She was interrupted before she could finish her sentence by Jonathon whacking her in the face. "I don't care you need to pay for this, you slut!"

Then the beating progressed from a simple smack to Jonathon punching, kicking and eventually placing his hands around Samantha's neck choking her.

She was on the floor helplessly struggling to breathe with Jonathon strangling her with his bare hands. She tried in vain to kick her arms and legs frantically out to no avail. She couldn't get away from him. Jonathon was too strong for her frail body to overpower.

She knew at this moment she wasn't going to make it, her life was ending before her own eyes. The darkness was closing in and she could feel her life slowly draining from her body. Her face was starting to turn blue from the lack of oxygen entering her body.

For a brief second, her motherly instinct kicked, in and she couldn't help but worry about her daughter in the cellar hidden below. What would become of her daughter? What would happen to Ivory once she was gone from this world?

*****

Please vote, comment and share❤❤❤