Chapter 18 - Reconciled

I moped behind Luna in the library that she was taking me to. It was dark wood, very beautiful, and I was excited to get more books. But Jack had ruined my mood. I just don't understand why he can be so nice to me one day and then super mean the next.

"So what kind of books do you like, Evil?" Luna asked, turning around to face me. Her smile turned into a frown. "What's wrong?"

I stayed silent, keeping my eyes on the floor as my fingers trailed along the hardcover books on the shelf right next to me.

"I'm serious, what's going on? You can talk to me."

I pushed past her and walked to one of the bookshelves that sat against the back wall. I quickly climbed the ladder, the wood smooth to the touch as I climbed to the top. My fingers trailed all over the books on the shelf and I began picking out some to read the summary.

"Evil, you gotta tell me what's going on." Luna said, standing at the foot of the ladder.

I didn't answer.

"I've never seen you sad before and it's making me nervous." She continued. Everything was silent except for the far away sound of the town in the almost empty bookstore.

"Hold this." I bent down and handed Luna the book that I had been perusing before going back up to the shelf to search for more books.

"Elizabeth." I pulled open another book, reading the summary before putting it back and grabbing another. "Is this about Jack?"

I froze. My arm hovered over the bookshelf for a prolonged second before fully sliding the book back next to the others. I picked out another one and handed it to Luna. "I know you're in love with him." She said.

I shut the book I was perusing over and climbed down, staring over my friend. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes I do. You literally told me that you're in love with him."

"When?" I asked.

"When you were drunk."

"When people are drunk, they say things they don't mean."

She considered it for a second. "Okay but then why are you sad about Jack?"

"He just..." I looked down and ran a hand through my hair. "He said something mean to me."

"What did he say?"

I thought for a second. I couldn't tell Luna or else she would find out about the sessions and me showing him my powers to help him find Rose. I just shook my head, grabbing the books away from her. "I don't wanna talk about it." I started to walk away but Luna grabbed my arm to stop me. She looked angry.

"Elizabeth, I have done so much for you. Now you're secretive and I don't know anything about what's going on with you. Will you please just tell me what's going on?"

She was right. "Fine...He said that I would never be his 'love' or whatever and that I should just stop trying. I wasn't trying to do anything."

"What?"

"Never mind. It's really stupid. We should go pay for these."

--

I walked to the lake like normal, feeling an intense dread. Once I reached the clearing, the familiar glowing sunshine hit my frowning and unexpressive face. My eyes were cold and I hadn't smiled in days. Who knew that words could hurt me so much?

"Hey." Jack said. I slowly turned around to face him, the same look plastered over me. "I didn't think you'd actually come."

"Why would I not come? I made a promise. Just because you said something mean doesn't mean that I won't keep my word."