Chapter 13 - Confessions

Jack and I got back to the apartment. Luna was out with everyone else in her friend group and Grams was gone to go into the main city. Away from the town.

"So do you wanna come in?" I asked.

"Sure."

I opened the door and he seemed to have been here before as he walked straight to the bookshelf. He pulled open the right book and the bookcase opened up. We both entered quickly.

"Just sit on the settee. I'll go get changed." I said. He nodded and sat down as I went into my room. I changed into a green dress quickly and walked out to brush my hair in front of the big mirror in the hallway.

Jack was sitting on the settee, flipping through his drawings. I smiled at him and sat down in front of the mirror, running the brush through my tangled wet curls.

I was struggling and cursing each time an ounce of pain shot through my skull.

My hair was super tangled. "God damnit." I muttered under my breath. I sighed and set my brush down, feeling defeated. My eyes were closed but I jumped when I felt a presence next to me.

"Do you need help?" Jack asked. I lifted my head out of my hands and brought my gaze to meet his gorgeous blue eyes.

"Yes please."

He moved behind me and picked up the brush. I breathed out. "Just let me know if it hurts, okay?" He asked.

I nodded and he brought the brush to my wet hair, slowly running his hands through it as it slowly untangled itself. It reminded me of the times when my mom used to brush my hair. She would sit in an old wicker chair and I would sit in front of her, a fire blazing.

She always told me I was beautiful. She would call me Belle which means beautiful in French. My hair was untangled. I think Jack and I both knew that. But he kept brushing through my hair, running his fingers through it as he smoothed it over.

That's exactly what my mom would do. She loved my hair, and thought it was the most beautiful thing. She would braid it, brush it, wash it, and help me manage it. God I missed her.

I closed my eyes and let a tear fall down my face.

Then another. And then another. Jack stopped brushing my hair and slowly set the brush down. "Beth..."

I rested my face on the back of my hand and let out a small cry. "I'm sorry." I said, wiping my eyes quickly.

"No, it's okay." He stood up and sat in front of me. He was looking at me sympathetically and placed a hand on my arm. "Do you wanna talk?"

"No. But I don't really think I have a choice." I said. He scoffed and I took a deep breath, sniffling and wiping my eyes. "My mom used to brush my hair. She uh, she died when I was pretty young."

"I don't mean to sound rude, but how did she die?"

"Drowned." I said. "I guess we're both gonna die that way."

"What?"

"She was a fortune teller. She told me that I was going to die by being drowned. I hate swimming, I hate the ocean, I hate water, I hate everything about it." I had brought my eyes away from him and kept it on the tassels that hung off the rug. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry." He said. "Hey."

He lifted my chin up so I was looking at his gorgeous face. He really was beautiful. I bet he used to be super charming. I just want to help him. Even if that means him ending up with another girl. His happiness is the only thing that matters.

"Thank you for sharing this with me. It makes you more human." He said.

"No problem." He smiled and it was then that I noticed how close our faces were. He cleared his throat and we both looked away.