Chapter Nine, "The Perte"

Word Count: 7.6k words / Song: Carried Me With You by Brandi Carlile / Warning: Sensitive and upsetting topics, such as death

"I carry your heart with me (I carry it inmy heart) I am never without it (anywhereI go you go, my dear; and whatever is doneby only me is your doing, my darling)"

my heart) I am never without it (anywhere
I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)"

- I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart) by E.E. Cummings

"Mum?" a voice comes, but it only drifts over the top, as if a bird over a courtyard of school children

"Mum?" a voice comes, but it only drifts over the top, as if a bird over a courtyard of school children. I feel like one hovering over them, able to make out some words, but not all of them. When I try to focus harder, I catch a few more. "The last time, you said Daddy had that case with Uncle MyMy, but you stayed home, so what'd you do? Was that when you were pregnant with me?"

Quickly, I lifted my wings and soared back overhead, regretfully dipping to hear what I did. It came to me as a shock, and still it didn't. I had made up excuses every night for the last few days to not have to continue telling this story, our story. Her siblings' soccer games and our Sunday family dinner worked well for that, but the guilt could never escape me for long. It would only worsen when I stopped for a second to look into her eyes, a pair far familiar. Was it the cerulean blue shade that I saw in the mirror, or the glinting sunshine born from her father's? This time, I let myself look and I realized again how she looks more and more like him every day. The almond eyes that wait patiently, the smallest of dimples accompanying her excited grin, and the dark chocolate curls falling around her face. Her stubbornness especially. Still, I wondered how much she knew, but even more, how much this would upset her. The truth.

"Becks?" it came and with it, a hand falling into my hair. The hammering of my heart that I didn't notice starts to calm at the gesture, and the always safe sunshine that I find in his smile. Yet, I see it there, the knowing. The truth. "Do you want my help telling this one?"

"Please, Harry."