Chapter Two, "One Step Closer"

Word Count: 10k words / *College resumes for me this coming week so chapters will, once again, be random* Song: Love Is On The Radio by McFly

Word Count: 10k words /  *College resumes for me this coming week so chapters will, once again, be random* /  Song: Love Is On The Radio by McFly

"You're weak. Everybody is. Everybody fails. Maybe this evil did bring you back, but if it did, it's because it needs you. And that means that you can hurt it."

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer  |  3x10 - "Amends"

It had been bothering me all morning, ever since Harry's comment

It had been bothering me all morning, ever since Harry's comment. If I was telling myself the truth, it had been gnawing away at the insides of my brain for longer than that.

There was so much inside of me telling me that his suspicion was right when all I wanted was for it to be wrong. If I was doing that truth thing again, of course, there was a remaining part of me that wanted it to be right, but it was miniscule at best. No more was said about it after that, but that fact in itself only made it harder to forget. Even if I had wanted to speak to him about it, he had been in partner meetings all day. I knew he was due for lunch here soon, and that's what led me to run a quick errand before then, nabbing the car keys from his right drawer where he always left them for occasions like this.

I certainly didn't think that this was how it would be happening, at Harry's firm of all places. Our firm? Guilt seeped under my skin the second I had put my plan into action, well aware that he had no idea what I was doing. Tears had been close all day long, since the time those joking words had left his lips. Sure, the blame went to him on that, but I couldn't have known what it would lead to, either. Even he didn't. We both could deserve the blame for this entire thing, if it turned out to be true.

The second it's done, I find that I can't get myself to follow through. The closest thing I've felt to relief all day comes when I see my watch reads one o'clock. It feels like every person I pass knows my secret, despite that being an impossibility and more. The only person who could have the smallest inkling is the person whose door I stop in front of, because I'm not sure how I can do this. Or, that I can. I've surprised myself by getting this far in my plan.

When the door opens for me, I can't decide whether I feel lucky that he made the next decision for me. "Hi, bug. How's yer mornin' been? 've missed you, y'know. Oh, whatcha got there? Did ya get me lunch?" his words couldn't be sweeter. Neither could his hand that brushes against my cheek, sliding down my arm next. Alarms blare inside of me, yelling to tell him while others repeat the opposite. I don't know why, but doubt floods me within milliseconds. I know that he wouldn't be upset, but then how come I suddenly worry that he would be? "Ev'rythin' okay, Becks?"