Chapter Four, "Telling"

Word Count: 11.6k words / Song: Combat by Hazel English

6k words / Song: Combat by Hazel English

"Now is now. Are you going to be here or not?"

- Ram Dass

The trill of the ringtone brought my eyes open, but as soon as I do and the sun blinds me, I wish that I hadn't

The trill of the ringtone brought my eyes open, but as soon as I do and the sun blinds me, I wish that I hadn't. He was always the one to close the blinds after I'd opened them, something I'd forgotten to do already.

"Hello?" I say, blindly answering the phone, retreating to under the covers.

"Hi, bug. I hope 'm not interruptin' anythin' important at work, but 'm on me lunch and wanted t' call. I miss my fiance."

A smile is already brewing on my lips, beginning the first second I heard Harry's voice. It had only been hours since I'd heard it last, but somehow, it was always too long.

"Oh, hi," I reply, clearing my throat, knowing my sleep-ridden voice gives it away already. "Um, I'm actually at home."

"Oh, ya are? 's ev'rythin' okay with you, Becks? God, yer not sick, are you? Of all times fer that t' happen and 's when 'm gone on a case," his voice is heavy, laden with displaced guilt that makes my insides roil. Luckily, it's not in the same way they've been doing lately.

"Yeah. I woke up at 5 this morning and got sick."

"God, 'm so sorry, bug, that 'm not there t' take care o' you. Sounds like I woke you from a nap, 'm-," I cut him off before the unnecessary grief can weigh either of us down all the more.

"It's okay, Harry. I probably just ate something that was off, leftovers that weren't good anymore. I feel fine now."

"Good, 'm glad t' hear yer feelin' better already. 'll be home on Thursday, 'm jus' sorry 's not any sooner."

The first hints of a laugh fall from my lips, "Stop apologizing. It's fine, I'm fine. I can manage a little throw up, Harry, you don't need to say that. Believe me, I'm just glad you're not here to see it."

"You stop it, li'l one. We're gettin' married, Becks, fer better or fer worse, rememba?"

"Of course, but I'm okay. I only threw up this morning and . . "