Chapter Three, "Rebecca Ann"

Word Count: 11.6k words / Song: Let's Get Married by The Bleachers ;)

6k words /  Song: Let's Get Married by The Bleachers ;)

"She is led by love, the world moves for love . . it kneels before it in awe."

- Edward Walker, The Village

"So, what happened in the story next?"

"Are you sure you can stay awake for another chapter, love?" I wheeze, fingers combing through the satiny loose curls that I push away from her eyes. The very pair that I've seen so many times in the mirror. "You're getting tired, Bean. It's been a long day for you with school and swim team practice."

"I know, but I can stay awake. It's getting good."

"Pinky P?" I almost giggle, holding out my littlest finger that she hooks hers with. Without fail, I could still picture how tiny her fingers were the first time I saw them, and my how they've grown. I think it'd be safe to say somebody is going to have big hands, too.

"Yeah, it is, but . . . ," my words escape me momentarily. Distracted, I stop, hearing the sound of a cry from upstairs, wishing that he would walk into the room. That he would help me with this part, and the ones that follow.

"But, what?"

I'd been called it every day for the last almost ten years, but it still was hard to get used to at times, especially now with the story I tell. I had a hard time sometimes believing how lucky I'd gotten, and she only reminds me as I watch her eyes lull at the feeling of my hand in her hair. Just like somebody I know.

"But it gets sad, love, because you know, sometimes things have to get worse before they get better."

"Stop it, you sound like you're making up rubbish rules, just like Daddy," the beloved word falls from her rosebud lips, and we can't contain our laughter. The imperfect perfections in her cheeks and the sing-song laughter that peels from her lips makes this all the more surreal for me, like I'm looking right at him. "Now, keep going, Mum. I want to hear more of your story."