That one name stole all the air from between them.

Wyrn's voice no longer held worry and panic when he asked, "Why do you care?"

Vadde cared because the bastard was a prince—a prince who'd stumbled upon a family of giants. Maybe not a family, an entire valley of them. A valley of giants harboring a princess. That should have been Wyrn's concern. Not her.

"Where is he?" Vadde asked again.

In this silence, Wyrn whispered through the heartbreak, "And I've asked you, why do you care?" He swallowed hard, fearful. "You can't leave with him. You and I have already consummated."

Vadde closed her eyes tighter. How foolish. She didn't want to leave. She'd fight the bastard to stay but....

"Please. Your father was right. I'm no prize. I've only caused trouble. And—and now the business with the Fae. Your family won't forgive me after that. I think my father gave me to you because you were gentle." Her throat tightened. "And you are kind of simple, I suppose."

"Don't," Wyrn begged. "Don't provoke me. I can hear it in your voice. We'll discuss this once we've reached the temple."

There would be no rest for Wyrn's family with Orm now in the know. And what of the fairies? What of this curse?

From the start this was something she was holding onto that she shouldn't.

"Where is the prince?" she asked again.

Wyrn turned her to him, begging, "Please stop asking about another man and at least look at me. Explain to me what's happened—what I've risked!"

Vadde trembled. Flashes of him growing only to be struck by a flaming catapult came and went. Giants had size and power but not endurance. Eventually they'd sleep, far longer than a normal person. All legends had said.

A massacre now or a massacre later. It was still death. Giving their identity to someone who could not hear freely went contrary to the goddess. Would that mean losing her protection?

She tried to climb out of the wagon but his hand held her shoulder.

"Princess...."

Vadde's body shook as she shut her eyes tighter. "It's not right of me to impose on your family any longer."

His coarse fingers ran along her chin, guiding her to meet eyes with him. The kiss was soft and held longing and she didn't respond to it.

"What is wrong? Just yesterday we were so different. We were perfect. Don't you remember it? Why won't you fight for us?"

"You should follow your laws."

He wouldn't move.

The warm hand on her face made her cringe. "Please," she whispered.

But she wasn't the only one begging, "Explain it to me. Tell me what I've done wrong. What mistake I've made. I'll correct it. You're talking as if you want to leave."

A tear fell from Vadde's right eye, traveling down her cheek until Wyrn brushed it aside. Now a second tear came, and he caught that one as well. But he couldn't contend with the others that began tumbling down.

"Princess."

His effort to guide her chin this time was fruitless as she resisted. He was more than strong enough to grip her face and make her meet eyes with him. But he didn't.

Instead, he kissed her throat, the side not injured by the fairy, then made an attempt to hold her.

Hands on his chest, she kept him back.