45- Please talk to me

Start from the beginning

Ember put her head in her hand, moving another chess piece. She wasn't playing with anyone. Not that she minded. Since classes had ended a while ago, the library held few people. Mostly just older years studying and younger years laughing with each other.

People were a reminder that she wasn't dreaming. Everything still felt like a dream, even after a few days. She remembers staying up that whole night. Luckily, Remus and Peter came to the hospital wing before the night was over. Madam Pomfrey eventually kicked them out.

She did not kick out James, however. In the middle of the night, her boyfriend snuck through Hogwarts with the Marauders map and the invisibility cloak to visit her. They spent most of the night talking in hushed whispers and laughing together. It was one of the few times Ember found herself laughing since she found out. It seemed James had that impression on her.

Her fingers wrapped around another piece, moving it to the side. She felt the object in her hand. Taking over her senses. It was a nice sense of reality for her. It was a reminder that she could still touch, hold, feel something real.

Everything seemed so fake recently. Estelle actually putting her magical core in a necklace was the thing that seemed the most absurd. No, not the way she and James were together. Not her best friend being a werewolf or even the fact there was a war going on. It was her grandmother, someone she trusted very much, putting her magical core into a necklace as a teenager and then shipping it off to Ember after her death.

It was the way Ember had began to feel responsible for two deaths.

She clutched one of the pieces so hard she thought it may crumble under her touch; it didn't. Her mindset was crazy as she picked up the last of the chess pieces, picking them up carefully.

Just as she was leaving she heard a voice she had grown to love to yell her name. Even though they were outside of the library, Madam Pince still gave them a glowering look. Ember felt the need to laugh as she turned around to look at James. just the boy himself made her heart speed up. Especially because he had a wide smile and crooked glasses.

Oh, he definitely just pulled a prank on Filch. She could smell it off him like the smell of beer on a Friday night.

He smiled upon seeing her. When he got close enough, one of his arms wrapped over her. "How are you doing?"

James knew something was wrong with Ember. Everyone did. However, stubborn and enclosed, she didn't tell anyone what was happening to her. A part of her didn't find herself worthy enough to worry them with that. She brushed it off to be the Hufflepuff in her not making her being able to tell her friends. She didn't want to worry them. However, another part of her was screaming at her to just get support - her friends would support her-

"Better." She responded shortly, leaning into her boyfriend. "Can you stay with me tonight?"

James nodded, kissing her head. He would be there for her. Of course, he would. Even if he hasn't said it out loud yet, he loves her. The type of love like kissing someone even if they're sick just to make them feel better.

As they walked, Ember fiddled with the chess piece - her calm - in her hand. Never stopping until they got to the Head boy and girl dorms.

It would be easier for Ember and James to stay there since James didn't have to deal with the other girls in her dorm - mainly Ophelia who bullied James the whole time he would be there. Sure, Marlene could come and stay but Marlene is definitely not a quidditch player who is around 6'2 and calls herself a 'marauder' so she was excused from the teasing.